Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Pillowcase Dresses for Haiti orphans >

Pillowcase Dresses for Haiti orphans

Pillowcase Dresses for Haiti orphans

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM

Made my first dress...used 6" elastic....much easier than I thought...thanks for your help... :D
Old 02-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I've made seven of them and am going to mail them off the beginning of next week. Havn't made little girl dresses since my granddaughters were little, they are now teenagers.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:57 PM

I don`t have daughters so this so much fun for me....
Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Thank you all so much for your responses.

There is need in many places for many reasons. I hadn't understood girls were considered 2nd class citizens and boys needs tend to be met before the girls. They also have a program called Britches for boys which are shorts but I don't feel ready to take that on yet. But that blue and white striped sheet make a darling group of shorts on those toothpick legged children.

What a group of wonderful gals you all are. I am the lucky one. Thank you.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 AM

our church did the britchesforboys too....we used just about everything in the way of fabric...
Old 04-18-2010, 04:23 AM

I received an email from Jami this week:

Starting today, I will have all of you busy sewers send dresses directly to Jon Obermeyer, the founder of Haiti Care Mission and The Princess Project. My storage space has reached capacity (yahoo!) and I will be focusing my time more on preparing our family space, schedule, and hearts for our adoptive (Haitian) daughter. We don't know yet when she will come home, but anticipate quite an adjustment on that blessed day!

Keep sewing! I will be taking some dresses with me to Haiti in June, and will try to post photos of precious girls wearing them! They are so ADORABLE! If you have boxes on the way to me ~ GREAT! I'm not cutting myself off from the project! They will still get to the right place. I have dresses arriving at least twice a week, so I anticipate they will keep trickling in. This is just a notice for future shipments to be stored with Mr. Obermeyer.

Here is his contact information:
Jon Obermeyer, Director

HAITI CARE MISSION
307 Bridge Street

East Tawas, MI 48740
(989) 362 - 3540

[email protected]

If you'd like to be on his mailing list for newsletters from that organization, pop him an email and he'll add you!

Have a blessed day!
Jami Sutter
Old 04-25-2010, 03:27 PM

Hi, I'm making the dresses for Africa and my church is partnering this year with a church in the Dominican Republic so we may make dressed for this area also. Nancy Zieman has excellent directions on her web page for the dresses--it is "nancy's notions" just goggle it and you can get the info there for all sizes. Six inches of elastic for the smallest sizes, then more for the larger sizes. She also has a template for the armhole which is helpful.
Happy sewing!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 PM

I saw this as "Little Dresses for Africa" project on Nancy's Notions e-mail ad. She has a downloadable pattern w/instructions that allow you to use fabric from the bolt as well as pillowcases. I have raided my stash and can make about 15 to start. I bought double-fold bias tape by the roll at Home-Sew- so much cheaper than JoAnn or Hobby Lobby
Old 05-06-2010, 04:17 PM

When I saw the "Little Dresses for Africa" project I started sewing. I have made three dresses from my linen closet and I'm heading to thrift shops and garage sales looking for more. They are super quick. I picked up a shorts pattern to make britches for boys too.