Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starching:  When and Why? >

Starching: When and Why?

Starching: When and Why?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 AM

I spray starch on the back of the fabric and press on the front, no flakes. I cut, sew and starch again. I rarely pin or rip now because my fabric lays so nice and have no trouble with a 4 patch seam. I like the spray starch in a can and pay from .79 to 1.00 per can and buy 4 at a time.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 AM
Power Poster

I was so frustrated with one small quilt trying to free motion without puckers that I unsandwiched it and starched the backing and top it until it stood up by itself. It was great to machine quilt. I starch very heavy and use lots of steam before I cut my fabric. I get all the distortion out of the way first. LOL.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM

Wow, I have learned alot about the starching. Especially about sewing the seams. That sometimes is my problem too. The next time I go to the store I am going to get some starch.
So when you use the starch, do you starch on the back side of the fabric? And if starch draws bugs, then what do you do to your left over scraps after cutting your pieces?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 AM

Looking back ot some of my finished quilts and quilt tops, I can easily see that some problems I had would probably have been eliminated if I had had my fabric crisply starched. I am a fairly recent convert to starching, but am now a great believer in it. I have one issue with the spray starch and that is having it land on the fabric only and not on all surrounding areas, including furniture. I'm thinking that next time I go into a fabric washing/starching operation, I should cover the surrounding area with bed sheets. What do you do to protect the area around your ironing board? Also, I just bought a lot of die-cut 2-1/2" strips. Obviously, I will not be pre-washing them, but they are Bali prints, so when I wash the finished quilt, will I need something in my wash water to keep colors from bleeding, do you think??? (I've read many times on this QB the name of the product used for that, but can't think of it right now.)
Old 01-31-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Looking back ot some of my finished quilts and quilt tops, I can easily see that some problems I had would probably have been eliminated if I had had my fabric crisply starched. I am a fairly recent convert to starching, but am now a great believer in it. I have one issue with the spray starch and that is having it land on the fabric only and not on all surrounding areas, including furniture. I'm thinking that next time I go into a fabric washing/starching operation, I should cover the surrounding area with bed sheets. What do you do to protect the area around your ironing board? Also, I just bought a lot of die-cut 2-1/2" strips. Obviously, I will not be pre-washing them, but they are Bali prints, so when I wash the finished quilt, will I need something in my wash water to keep colors from bleeding, do you think??? (I've read many times on this QB the name of the product used for that, but can't think of it right now.)
It is called Shout Color Catcher.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:50 AM

no it wont make make your cutter sticky it dries when you iron the material
Old 01-31-2010, 01:53 PM

I haven't used starch yet, but am putting my blocks together now. Has anyone used starch on their pieces after they have already been cut?
Old 01-31-2010, 07:01 PM

yes i use it to orin down my seams
Old 01-31-2010, 07:04 PM

that word that was messed up was suppose to be iron
(i iron down my seams !!)
Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 AM

I buy regulary Corn Starch and mix my own, It last about a week before souring, so a cup to a cup and a half at a time in a comfortable spray bottle is so easy and Cheap too!
Works great for me.