Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Vote For the Next Block Swap >

Vote For the Next Block Swap

Vote For the Next Block Swap

Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Originally Posted by Claudia Paula
Brenda B:

Just go to any fabric shop or Joanns. They all have wonderful batiks. Once you see some you will love them.

Claudia Paula
I will do that. I have a wonderful lqs here in town. Very helpful. I'm sure I will love them, just never really heard of them until I joined this group, but then I had never heard of a doll quilt either. I think I need to get out more! lol
Old 03-28-2010, 08:45 PM

I love your gorgeous dog! Looks rather like mine!!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:38 AM

Brenda B:

One of the best aspects of being a part of a group of quilters is how much you learn along the way. I have been quilting for 20+ years and have taught for about 7+ years and when I am in a group hearing myself say "I didn't know that".
You will love working with batiks. The interest they give a quilt is terrific.
Claudia Paula
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BrendaB
I eagerly await the batik thread. I already have my fabric and block picked out.

This is so much fun.

Claudia Paula
Wanna pick mine out too? lol I have Googled batiks but the only thing I can tell that is different is that they are almost like tie-dyed colors, multiple shades of the same color. Is that right or am I missing something? I still have to get mine and I want to get something everyone will really like. :-)
The batik process is different than tied dyed. The design is applied with a resist such as wax or gutta then the fabric is dyed several times with layers of wax added to change colors. In the end the wax is boiled or ironed out and the design is left. The commercial process is more dye stable but it is suggested to wash the fabric to be on the safe side. Moosegirl
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Brenda B:

One of the best aspects of being a part of a group of quilters is how much you learn along the way. I have been quilting for 20+ years and have taught for about 7+ years and when I am in a group hearing myself say "I didn't know that".
You will love working with batiks. The interest they give a quilt is terrific.
Claudia Paula
Claudia: I took your advice and went to the local quilt shop and got a lesson on batiks. They helped me pick out the fabrics too. Now, I'm excited to do my batik blocks. Thanks for your comforting words. You helped me to get unstuck. :-) Thanks again. You are a sweetheart to help.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Hi , I am following along on this swap.. I will make them for fun, not join this swap cuz I am new and also cuz I signed up for the doll quilt swap and the table runner swap! So I could get into trouble if I signed on to this as well. But it looks like fun.. If I should get them made in time I will check with you and see of exchanging.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
Hi , I am following along on this swap.. I will make them for fun, not join this swap cuz I am new and also cuz I signed up for the doll quilt swap and the table runner swap! So I could get into trouble if I signed on to this as well. But it looks like fun.. If I should get them made in time I will check with you and see of exchanging.
I'm pretty new too, and it is so hard to pass anything up. They are so much fun! I hope you get yours done in time. :-)
Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 AM

There is a table runner swap?? Who is running it? Sounds like fun! :thumbup:
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
There is a table runner swap?? Who is running it? Sounds like fun! :thumbup:
Yes, how did I miss this?
Old 04-07-2010, 08:55 AM

I received the following message in a pm, What do all you swappers out there think of this option??

How about a "no Sew Swap"

We all picked star blocks from quilters cache, cut the pieces, Enclosed what the name of the block was.
I think newbies would enjoy. Then, when you receive the blocks back you can sew them at your leasure.
This would make a great sampler! Do you think this would go over well here on the board?