Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
For Horse Lovers - Molly the Pony >

For Horse Lovers - Molly the Pony

For Horse Lovers - Molly the Pony

Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM

WHAT A GREAT STORY!........

Ya gotta meet Molly...

Meet Molly. She's a grey speckled pony who
Was abandoned by her owners when Hurricane
Katrina hit southern Louisiana . She spent weeks
On her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected, and her vet went to LSU for help, but LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes. But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her.She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic. Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee, and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.
This was the right horse and the right owner,
Moore insists. Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood that she was in trouble.The other important factor, according to Moore, is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse. Molly's story turns into a parable for life in Post-Katrina Louisiana .....The little pony gained weight, and her mane finally felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.
The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life,
Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports.
And she asks for it. She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too.. And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. 'It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse,' she laughs..

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay,
The rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, and rehabilitation
Centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people, and she had a good time doing it. 'It's obvious to me that Molly had a bigger role to play in life, Moore said. She survived the hurricane,
She survived a horrible injury, and now she is giving hope to others. Barca concluded, She's not back to normal, but she's going to be better. To me, she could be a symbol for New Orleans itself.

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it . Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24329.jpe   attachment-24629.jpe   attachment-24782.jpe  
Old 03-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Wonderful!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Thats a very inspiring story.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Amazing! I always thought that once a horse broke a leg, there was no hope. She's a beauty.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM

Good for Molly and her owner.

Why people don't understand that animals can live normal lives when they are handicapped is beyond me.

My friend had gotten a cat because the vet had to amputate his one leg due to a car accident. The owners didn't want him back. She took him. She turned to me and said she was leaving for the day to pick him up. "What should I name him?" she asked. Well, I said, "How about Tripod!" She loved it. He lived a long and happy life until last year. Even on 3 legs he could keep up with her 2 dogs, 2 other cats, and 2 kids. He ruled the roost.

Molly is one amazing horse! I can imagine that she loves it as much as the her visitors. She is an angel from heaven. :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM

Pretty girl! What a wonderful story. :)
Old 03-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Wonderful story!!!
Old 03-23-2010, 04:42 PM

The story made my heart sing.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:19 PM

Great story - teach us adults a good lesson!
Old 03-23-2010, 05:23 PM

What a pretty little girl!!!