Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Roller Iron >

Roller Iron

Roller Iron

Old 03-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Banned

I have never seen our heard of these. Penny
Old 03-30-2010, 06:28 PM

My grandmother had an ironer something like it that she ironed everything on. I used to watch her iron everything on it. She could iron a shirt better than anyone could with a regular iron.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:50 PM

A similar machine was popular when I was young. It was commonly called a Mangle. I thought that such an odd name. Did It Mangle whatever was fed into it? Then, I discovered that Mangle was the name of a manufacturer. It would be great for ironing backing and other long lengths of cloth.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:08 PM

Hey, we had a big one when I was little - before polyester. It was called a mangle - possibly because if you got caught in the roller, you would be. Great for sheets, tablecloths, flat areas of shirts, etc.

I'm new here, by the way, mostly in the background. Thanks for the memory.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM

I just did a quick Google search for "mangle iron" and got some hits.

Diane
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 PM

My Grandfather picked one up at an estate sale in the 60's and gave it to my Mom. We heard you could iron anything on it but couldn't figure out how. We just did sheets and pillow cases. Wish I had it now. He also picked her up one of those machines with the motor and the belt you put around your butt to jiggle it so your but would shrink. We all got a big laugh out of that one. It never did shrink any of our butts though.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 PM

My gramma had one, it was pretty big, and it was called a Mangler. She did linens for the local Presbyterian Church, and she ironed all the linens on the Mangler. It worked fantastic. Joanie
Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 AM

That is great! My grandma had one and I learned to use when I was about 10 years old. She taught me how to even iron dress shirts on it. I never thought about how useful it would be have one for quilting.

Many times I wish I had that old one back again. Here in Norway we use duvet covers and it would be so nice to be able to flatten a cover out before putting it on the bed. In the old times there were even cold presses to run linens through to make them look fresh and nice.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:11 AM

The picturre I saw of a roller iron when I googled it reminds me of the Ironrite Mangle I had in the '60's. Everythng was ironed then and it was one of the things I absolutely loved to do. I ironed everything on it - my husband's work pants, his dress shirts (long sleeved, white and starched, dampened and rolled, ready for ironing - does anyone remember that?), sports shirts, T-shirts, my daughter' gathered-skirt dresses, ruffles, puffed sleeves, all my little boys' clothes, and of course, sheets, pillowcases, hankies, dish towels, etc. I absolutely loved it and it was the best Christmas gift my husband EVER gave me. I learned to use my mom's when I was single and living at home, and when faced with the whole family's weekly ironing by hand, I begged for an Ironrite. Then the advent of no-iron fabric came along and my beloved mangle fell into disuse. (sigh) Sometimes I really miss it.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:48 AM

I remember a Steven King short story about a mangle that came to life, and you can just imagine the rest of the story. LOL