Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Formula for half square triangles...HELP!! >

Formula for half square triangles...HELP!!

Formula for half square triangles...HELP!!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 AM

Adding 7/8" to the FINISHED size of the block is the way I was taught.

I draw boxes on the back side of the lighter fabric. If my finished size is going to be 4", then I draw boxes that are 4 7/8". Then I draw a diagonal line through all the boxes and sew a quarter inch on either side of it, then you cut on all the lines. I have pictures at home if anyone wants to see them.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:42 AM

Yes! I would love to see your pictures....
Old 04-13-2010, 06:46 AM

pictures are always great!
they reason i use the 1 inch greater, is i did a whole quilt in the HST's and i was cutting strips first, and the 7/8th was to hard for me..to do the continual cutting of the strips..it was either,find the next measurement back from the last cut, or move the strip back to the one inch measure on the mat,and measure to the 7/8th again...i found both to be tiresome. i don't like moving my fabric once i start cutting.

the way you explained is the way i learned also..
Old 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM

If your entire quilt is going to be made out of the same HST's, then definitely round up to the next whole number. That will make the cutting much easier. But if your HST's need to fit next to other blocks that finish at the same size, then you need to do the 7/8" measurement.

OK, when I get home, I will post the pictures.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
Adding 7/8" to the FINISHED size of the block is the way I was taught.

I draw boxes on the back side of the lighter fabric. If my finished size is going to be 4", then I draw boxes that are 4 7/8". Then I draw a diagonal line through all the boxes and sew a quarter inch on either side of it, then you cut on all the lines. I have pictures at home if anyone wants to see them.

I also use this same grid method, adding 7/8 to the finished size. The other nice thing about this grid is you can sew it in a continuous line on either side of the diagonal if you lay your grid out right. I have found it described in several books. I think the book "Quilts Quilts Quilts!" might have instructions on how to do it this way (in the back section). I have found this method best for me. I have another book that talks about making them out of bias strips and fat quarters but have yet to try that way.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:53 AM

I'm with everybody else for cutting your square 1" larger than the finished size needed. When I first started quilting I did it by the rules (7/8") larger and no matter how careful I was they neer came out right so now I do it 1", trim them up and I'm ready to go. Lots of people use Thangles and I have tried them too but to me it just takes the same amount of time and I don't like pulling the paper off when I'm through.