Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
work or no work >

work or no work

work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 AM

I notice that everyone here seems to have more time to sew than I do. I was just wondering if anyone else works a full time job as I do. If you do, how do you get everything done so that you have time to sew? I have not been able to touch my sewing machine for a very long time now.
:(
Old 04-18-2010, 05:06 AM

I work fulltime and commute 50 minutes each way. My job is salaried rather than hourly so a lot of days I put in well over 8 hours. I'm brain-dead when I get home and have found that's not a good combination with the precision of quilting, especially accurate cutting! So I get online and spend time here looking at what everyone else is doing, and think, "some day, I'll be able to do things like that!" My sewing is limited to some weekend time when I can work it in. So I don't produce much, but I love all things quilted.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Right now I have the luxury of being retired and therefore my time is my own to use as I wish. I may have to go back to some sort of part-time employment in the future but for now I can sew to my heart's content
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Banned

I work at home....bout 12 hours a day! But I love it! Nobody tells me what to do and I can work in my jammers all day if I want to. :lol:
Old 04-18-2010, 05:13 AM

I work full time too. Monday-Thursday are 9 hr days, work Fridays are 8 hrs, every other Friday off. I don't have kids at home, but my FIL lives with us. I do not have a sewing room. I either work on the dining table or crammed in between my bed and the closet. I don't get much time to sew during the week. I'm with you on the being tired afraid to screw up. If I sew during the week, it's the no brainer stuff like chain piecing pieces I've already cut. I save the cutting and any complicated piecing for my days off. It's less frustrating that way! :)
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I am a stay at home mom and I also wonder how it is that so many are able to do the sewing that they do. I am lucky if I get to touch the machine every other weekend when my DH is off or maybe once or twice a week for a few minutes at a time. I am on week 3 of trying to sandwich a small quilt. maybe i will get it done today, yeah right I'm dreaming.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:19 AM

I work flexi-pool, they call when they need me. Which hasn't been a lot lately, just about 2-3 days a month. That is partly because I take care of my MIL who has advanced Parkinson's and lives with us. My sewing room is downstairs next to MIL's living space, so I can work and keep an eye on her. My girls are grown and on their own, so no kiddies at home.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 AM

I am retired now and sew approximately 6 hours a day. I do babysit my GGS who is 16 mos old, but he has a very large play pen and is very good at entertaining himself. He also takes long naps.

I worked full time from the time my youngest was in kindergarten, over 30 years ago. I wasn't quilting then but made most of my clothes and my 2 daughters clothes. I sewed after dinner and on Saturdays most of the time. Sewing has never been work for me, it was my way of relaxing.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:26 AM

I teach and the past five summers were tied up with graduate school so I've not as much time as I've wanted. I tend to be very good at starting (especially at quilt classes) and not finishing. I'm trying my hardest to leave this summer free other than packing up a child for college. Am starting to think of putting my unfinished projects into kits so that everything will be ready to work on.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:37 AM

I work full time and commute an hour each way. Sewing helps keep my sanity and I fit it in wherever I can.