Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by buslady
I posted a quiry on pg 1325 that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. If anyone can help me with it, I would be very grateful.
I don't know anything about the machine you asked about but if you could get pictures maybe someone would know sometimes those old machines were badged . Made by one company but sold with the name of another
Old 07-17-2011, 07:46 PM

I am going to have a new (to me) old White Treadle Sewing Machine. I was at a party at my SIL yesterday and noticed that the side table she was using to hold the pan for the BBQ turkey was a White treadle sewing machine (The one where you can read the word on the foot pump part.) I asked her if it had the machine in it, she asked, why - would you you like it? It was given to her by her FIL and she doesn't use it (except to hold BBQ turkey pans.) Not sure I'll find when its opened up, except that it had been made 'electric'. She lives about an hour away, now I'll just have to keep my DH to his promise to pick it up! We had a White Treadle at home when I was growing up (at one time we had a Singer, too) - not sure whatever happened to the machine after I left home. I do remember sewing on one.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM

Well, I did get the machine posted on CL with the parlor type cabinet. The machine is in very good condition and there were a ton of accessories that may or may not go to the machine as there were multiple machine manuals for more modern machines.

I will post pictures tomorrow. Have to find someone to help get the cabinet out of the car.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by buslady
I posted a quiry on pg 1325 that seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle. If anyone can help me with it, I would be very grateful.
I'm not sure of your question.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 AM

buslady

That's like asking what is a Chevy worth? Year, model or at less a pic would help.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM

irishrose

That Eldredge two spool looks a lot the Wheeler & Wilson and a Singer 9W on local CL. Was that frame made with two different style bottom thread? The two on CL have a standard style metal bobbin.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:16 AM

Thanks to all who helped me figure out what was what. I 'borrowed' the treadle belt from Mrs Willard to check it out, and now see how the derailer/wheel flange work. Also, thanks for helping me ID the feet. I'd never seen a binding foot with the posts before-I wonder what function they serve? Now I'm on the hunt for how to use the feet. I did find a conversion kit for the presser bar on eBay, once I figured out what to call it.

I am *determined* to learn to use this competently! Mrs Willard is a lovely old gal, but the boat shuttle is causing me no end of headaches! I hope this, being more like what I'm already familiar with, goes more smoothly.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by MrsBoats
Thanks to all who helped me figure out what was what. I 'borrowed' the treadle belt from Mrs Willard to check it out, and now see how the derailer/wheel flange work. Also, thanks for helping me ID the feet. I'd never seen a binding foot with the posts before-I wonder what function they serve? Now I'm on the hunt for how to use the feet. I did find a conversion kit for the presser bar on eBay, once I figured out what to call it.

I am *determined* to learn to use this competently! Mrs Willard is a lovely old gal, but the boat shuttle is causing me no end of headaches! I hope this, being more like what I'm already familiar with, goes more smoothly.
A lot of these manuals have parts that show how to use the feet:
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...e-manuals.html

Using an adjustable hemmer (you can also open it up to make wider hems - not shown here, but shown in manuals):
http://thesewbox.com/f/Adjustable_hemmer.pdf

Using a binder (doesn't show the two prongs that help feed the material straight):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/24616272/H...Machine-Binder
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
For LED lights, Harbor Freight.
Harbor Freight is the stuff! I bought a pair of 9 LED flashlights for $4 and I rigged up some clamps to put them on my mountain bike for headlights when I ride the trails at night. The exact same lights (you can put HF's next to the Bike Shops and there is no difference) and they are $300 for one! The only thing is the bracket is real nice that clamps it to the handlebars. Big deal..... :roll:

Billy
Billy, figure out a gadget to mount the LED on a sewing machine and we will all buy them. Maybe something with a velcro loop around the machine and an elastic loop to hold the LED light?? My bike riding son will have to check out Harbor freight lights. He was out riding last week and came back with a battery operated LED light (about 3" diameter) with a swivel head and a heavy duty magnet on the base--found on the road. Not sure what it fell off of, but was thinking that might do for sewing also.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Speaking of CL, You Two Spools fans might want to look at this. http://nmi.craigslist.org/atq/2436671600.html
That's a lovely Two Spools machine byut advertising as making a lovely ornamental plant stand really chaps my hiode!! GGGRRR!!! Sell it as a sewing machine for pity's sake. That is what it is!!!!!!