Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-26-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
What model is the Kenmore? A lot of people swear by them, and I have several (6 sort of counts as several) and they all sew quite well, and they are usually easy to work on. The ones I have are on my give-away list, as most were given to me by people who said, "This machine just won't sew." With a little cleaning and oiling, and adjusting the tension, the machine will produce a little lap quilt for me, so I can show the person who I gift it to that it sews. I think the bottom tensions must tighten themselves up, because that is usually a first place to adjust.

Also, Charlee, I used your idea of the o-rings for a sewing machine belt for a White 1099 Jeans Machine. My OSMG said it was a good machine, but would have to order a belt. I said let me see what I can work up first. I had gotten it at a yard sale for $5. It has all the accessories, including a hopping quilting foot that is different than the one I have. The White one has a bigger opening than the one that was with my Pfaff 230 and is easier to see what you are doing. It is a pretty cool machine. Also on the "williing to let someone borrow" list, but I may keep the hopping foot. The man at the farm supply where I got the o-ring was amazed, to say the least, when I told him what it was for. Then he said, I have worked here for 40 years, and never thought of doing that, and my own mama needs a belt for hers and was going to bring her old one in to measure. I gave credit to a QB friend from the PNW.
I figure that since they're thin, they probably won't last like a "real" belt would, but hey...it's working, and since there are 3 to a package, then between all 3, they will probably last MY lifetime!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
So in doing a little history and research online today I came across a photo collection site that Frank put together of the Sewing machine museum showcasing many of the machines. I thought y'all might enjoy taking a look at the collection. I have spotted my Davis treadle in photos so far but I've only gone through a fraction of them. Anyway, lots of gorgeous machines to drool over.

I should probably add that there are alot of small bits and pieces that we found on the ground in there, drawer covers, panels to treadle cabinets, screws, etc. and since she didnt feel like dealing with them, she said I could have them all, so once we get it all cleaned out I'll post pics of what there is and if y'all see something that you could use to restore a machine I will share them. I just told her NOT to throw anything away unless it was a cardboard box

http://sewingmachinemuseumusafirst.w...m/apps/photos/
OH. MY. I wish I could just see it. WOW.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
OH. MY. I wish I could just see it. WOW.
Sadly you can see that he was emphatic that his collection be sold to a single buyer and kept intact, but there's just no way that could happen. I recognized several of the machines I saw in the photos that we cleared out from the storage unit, but someone who was supposed to be helping Frank's sister (elderly and lives out of state) move out some specific machines she did want to keep, has thus far kept about 30 machines, out of the civil war era and hand crank machines. After some correspondence between parties and threats to turn over the security footage to authorities, we are hopeful that they will be returned to this lady shortly who will get them to his sister. The whole situation just stinks but I think when its all said and done, he would be happy to see that these machines are getting homes with people who will love them as much as he did.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Power Poster

Sadly you can see that he was emphatic that his collection be sold to a single buyer and kept intact, but there's just no way that could happen. I recognized several of the machines I saw in the photos that we cleared out from the storage unit, but someone who was supposed to be helping Frank's sister (elderly and lives out of state) move out some specific machines she did want to keep, has thus far kept about 30 machines, out of the civil war era and hand crank machines. After some correspondence between parties and threats to turn over the security footage to authorities, we are hopeful that they will be returned to this lady shortly who will get them to his sister. The whole situation just stinks but I think when its all said and done, he would be happy to see that these machines are getting homes with people who will love them as much as he did.
I didn't see one I wouldn't give a home to...
Old 07-26-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I didn't see one I wouldn't give a home to...
Ditto for me too.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:22 PM

I did answer the ad from the mom and am giving her a machine in a cabinet. She was asking for a machine in a cabinet and I have one that I haven't used in the 2 years since I bought it and first used it. Fixed a minor issue and she sews pretty decently but the stitch length selector is interesting. It is reminiscent of the older knob types, think 27 or 28, but it has a screw in the middle to move it up and down. This is an interesting amchine and I'm trying to figure out whether or not the feed dogs drop but need to oil the bottom at any rate.

Chris
Old 07-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Two spoolers alert. Right now Two Spool parts on Ebay, includes can, no bids and only 16 hrs to go.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 AM

So i thought last night that now that i have a fair amount of machines in my collection (25) i should make an inventory list....i kinda hope my hubby doesn't look at it lol. Not including my brand new embroidery machine I got in May ive only invested 680.00 in all my machines, 22 of which are antique or vintage and that includes 6 cabinets too. Not too shabby I would say.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:27 AM

So i thought last night that now that i have a fair amount of machines in my collection (25) i should make an inventory list....i kinda hope my hubby doesn't look at it lol. Not including my brand new embroidery machine I got in May ive only invested 680.00 in all my machines, 22 of which are antique or vintage and that includes 6 cabinets too. Not too shabby I would say.
Not shabby at all. I have close to 40 machines. DH is aware of it and is mostly okay with the size of the herd. The daughters are another story.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 AM

I'm sure if my daughters knew how many I have, they'd be worried. My number is much lower than yours, but still too many for me. I can part with two - the 128 and the Admiral, though that one is a gorgeous, well made machine. The Art Deco faceplate and trim in turquoise and silver is so pretty.

I couldn't find a model number on the tan Kenmore. I had hoped that high sitting motor and bobbin winder on the end would be clues.