Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Miriam, how on earth did you dislocate your shoulder???? Feel better fast!
I haven't got a clue what I did - I just know it hurts like crazy. What ever I did has been gradual enough and dull enough pain that I ignored it too long - then it got worse. Kind of hard to get anything done. GKs are on their way over and I won't be holding anybody... gggrrrr. I haven't been picking up sewing machines much either.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Have I got him trained or what?

The spousal unit is on his way to Illinois to deliver a Uhaul full of stuff to a customer, and is just outside of Des Moines, IA right now. At an antique mall. Looking for sewing stuff for me!! He found me a key to a treadle cabinet, and a baggie full of Boye needles and a shuttle. (When I get them, I'll post what he found in case someone here can use them...I know the shuttle is for a Demorest).
He also found what looks to be a Singer 15-1!! Wish I could have him snag it for me, it's in a coffin top cabinet that he says is in good shape (and for him to say that, it HAS to be....he grumbles terribly about cabinets that need refinished!) Price is marked at $157.00.

He's finished at this mall, and headed to another one down the street!
Old 07-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
omg.... 2 fw's for sale for $150.00. i'm biting to see if this is real.

ok not 2 for $150 but $150 each. I knew that first price was too good to be true.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

The spousal unit is on his way to Illinois to deliver a Uhaul full of stuff to a customer, and is just outside of Des Moines, IA right now. At an antique mall. Looking for sewing stuff for me!! He found me a key to a treadle cabinet, and a baggie full of Boye needles and a shuttle. (When I get them, I'll post what he found in case someone here can use them...I know the shuttle is for a Demorest).
He also found what looks to be a Singer 15-1!! Wish I could have him snag it for me, it's in a coffin top cabinet that he says is in good shape (and for him to say that, it HAS to be....he grumbles terribly about cabinets that need refinished!) Price is marked at $157.00.

You do have him well trained!!! Mine is starting to recognize a good one when he sees one.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
What advertising? Seriously, I don't get any at all.

jljack, glad to hear from you. I'm still here and tinkering away. Working on a couple treadle bases right now. Haven't wired any motors lately. Got an old Kenmore to rewire the power and foot controller cord though.
You used that motor I did for you yet?

Joe
Hi Joe! Hoping to get to that motor this weekend....for some reason quilting projects keep coming and coming and coming, and that's all I have been doing...sewing. But I'll get to it...I really want to use that machine. She's a beauty! I'll let you know just as soon as I do get it back together.

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone! I missed you all!!

Miriam...girl, you better take it more easy! Getting old is crappy enough without injuries! :-) I know what I'm talking about...between me, my hubby and my mom (who lives with us), we have a pharmacy in the bathroom, canes and walkers in the house and in the car. Geeeesshhh!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 10:12 AM

Isn't it fun getting old? Just when you are old enough to play again the body starts giving out. I don't like old any more unless it's a sewing machine.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM

So today I get a call from my friend who is at the Habitat ReStore here, and she's telling me about an old Singer sewing machine they have there...just got it in, not priced, they don't know what it's worth....I managed to get out of them that it's a 31-20, and then heard them telling the guy not to sell it until Charlee got there and told them what it was worth! I went on my lunch break.

The person that donated it had masking tape all over it with, "For sewing leather", "Made in 1898" (the patent date), and "Manuals and attachments available". What I found was a 31-20....with a patent date of 1898, but made in 1915. REALLY rough decals and Japaning...big motor, good wiring...it had been converted from a treadle, and the treadle pedal had been removed, other than that, had really nice irons.

I told them to price it at $150....but to be willing to take as little as $75 for it. I also told them that to prevent other sales like my friend got there a couple of weeks ago, where she bought a really nice short bed, mocha 301 in a cabinet for $5, to give me a call before they price sewing machines! Also told them to let me know when they get them in and I'll service them for free...

I'm not as nice as they think I am tho... Gives me a chance to play with machines without buying them, and if they get a really good one, it gives me first shot at it!! Yes Fans.....there's method to my madness!!!

Charlee, you're the best!!! Plus a very strategic move!! LOL
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 AM

OK, Now I put a lot of work into that little motor so I want you to lay the quilts aside and put the machine together. I want ..... no correction ..... I need to know how it works for you. Been waiting for what seems like forever to hear the results. So, no more quilting till you get the motor report done.

Joe

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
Hi Joe! Hoping to get to that motor this weekend....for some reason quilting projects keep coming and coming and coming, and that's all I have been doing...sewing. But I'll get to it...I really want to use that machine. She's a beauty! I'll let you know just as soon as I do get it back together.

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone! I missed you all!!

Miriam...girl, you better take it more easy! Getting old is crappy enough without injuries! :-) I know what I'm talking about...between me, my hubby and my mom (who lives with us), we have a pharmacy in the bathroom, canes and walkers in the house and in the car. Geeeesshhh!!!
Old 07-31-2012, 02:23 PM

Just an FWI, the Demorest shuttles fit the Davis new vertical feed...an accidental discovery I made. Laura
Old 07-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jljack View Post
If it isn't one thing it's another. I'm getting help for it anyway. My daughter does the world's meanest massage. My chiropractor got the shoulder put back but there is more to getting back to normal... I'm not lifting sewing machines or wiggly grand kids