Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-15-2012, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura View Post
have been working away on my sewing room for a few weeks. we hung the last cabinet tonight! I pain[ATTACH=CONFIG]368506[/ATTACH]ted an ugly brown sewing table to use with all my vintage machines that are in bases. Likely I'll have to touch it up every so often, but it sure is cuter, and the top is much smoother, too. Laura
Laura, I like the red sewing cabinet! If you have to paint a sewing table, it might as well be purrrty! I love red!

Nancy
Old 10-15-2012, 06:25 AM

We have a very dear young man who is in Afghanistan who I keep in touch with through emails. He told me about a machine that he saw over there but at the time could not remember the name of it. Long story short he is here for a visit and we had a big BBQ last night, out of the blue, he turned to me and said "Seagull" and I said "what are you talking about. "That sewing machine, that's was the name of it". I've not heard the name before so when I got home did a search hoping to find a picture, but came up with nothing. Would any of you have any info. A curious mind would like to know. Thanks
Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
My problem with them is that ignorance is curable. Willful ignorance, though.... AAARGGGH!

Joe - at least you tried and you had the presence of mind not to clock them when they showed that they didn't want to learn.
Willful ignorance is a aarrggh!

But what I find worst are the posters that post to say that they will show or share information, but then they never follow through with that promise. Or when they are asked questions and/or one makes suggestions for them, they never show recognition. What ever happened to a thanks.

One spends the time to take an interest in them, answer their questions, and be their audience only to be jerked around by them.
I have to learn to ignore and move on...maybe it will be today.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post

But what I find worst are the posters that post to say that they will show or share information, but then they never follow through with that promise. Or when they are asked questions and/or one makes suggestions for them, they never show recognition. What ever happened to a thanks.

One spends the time to take an interest in them, answer their questions, and be their audience only to be jerked around by them.
People like you just described are the internet version of the lady with the treadle. Mouth running and ears closed.

I've gotten .... well I wouldn't say more patient with people as I've grown old, but they just don't trip my irritate switch like they used to.

Learning to ignore them ..... perhaps but not yesterday.

Joe
Old 10-15-2012, 08:30 AM

I have a fiddle base Household. It takes the Boye#2 needle, which is no longer available. It stitches beautifully.
I don't have anymore information on them. I may have a copy of a manual. I can look when I get home. I'm at the doctors office right now.

Cathy

Originally Posted by pumpkinpatchquilter View Post
Question - I found a Household treadle for sale...can anyone point me towards more information on it? Like how I might find out how old it is? It's NOT a fiddlebase but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info online. I see they were made by Provinence Tool Company. They are asking $125 which is kind of pricey for my budget...plus it's a drive.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM

Nancy,

I saw Laura's red table last week. It looks so much better in person than in the picture.
And her basement/ workshop is to die for. I am green with envy.

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Laura, I like the red sewing cabinet! If you have to paint a sewing table, it might as well be purrrty! I love red!

Nancy
Old 10-15-2012, 10:37 AM

I have been reading along, but being quiet. Like everyone else, gearing up for holiday projects, Halloween forward. I did a new fall flag to hang out by our driveway; also I have been working on several quilts and a bridesmaids dress, and two princess Halloween costumes that are also going to Disney this November to a tea party. I had to chime in on the idiocy in the world though. My mom used to say that there is compounded ignorance in many places, including our home town. Some people do no treasure the sewing machines at all. My first cousin just had a garage sale, and I bought 2 machines for $20-one is a Kenmore 158 with the big rectangular base, olive green, weighs a ton, sews like a dream. The other is a newer Dressmaker from the late 70's or early 80's, included all the cams and what have you. Not half the machine the Kenmore is for sure, but sews ok. Oiled them up, and wiped them down, and ready to go. Yall have acquired some pretty machines, and done some nice quilts, too. Here in Louisiana, it seems like it is too hot or too cold to get out to refinish some cabinets. And the dang west nile virus here is crazy this year, so I have been inside a lot. Keep up the good work. Oh, and I found a man who goes to auctions to get things for his monthly garage sales, and have him on the hunt for a red machine for me, or anything interesting that isn't too pricey, so I can't wait to see what he drags up.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post

I don't think I've been one of these people, but if I have I sincerely apologize! I often times have had people take infr from me without another word, but I have found the gift in giving. I don't need a thank you. I have a coworker who writes on the calendar the date of the wedding shower she has given a gift for. If she doesn't receive a thank you before the wedding, she does not give a wedding gift. I just think she is missing the blessing. If I never gave a gift (or information, response, etc) after NOT receiving a thank you, I most likely would never give another gift. What a shame.
I'm getting older....I tend to forget things and as many times as I've written notes, or told myself "I will not forget", I do! An offer of information is not a promise. If I make an offer and after a few days you haven't received it, please remind me. I have a life beyond this quilt board and often forget I was going to do something, or even when to go somewhere. People are human and humans are imperfect. Sad that one may think my forgetfulness is "jerking" someone around, or ignorance on my part.
I'm not "dis'n'" anyone....just thinking life has worse things to offer than this....my sister has lung cancer, my coworker's brother has throat cancer, my brother has an undiagnosed incapacitating pain in his legs and feet, my husband suffered a pituitary tumor, on and on and on! And still life goes on. Forgive and forget. Ignore and move on. LOL!
On the sewing machine ignorance...my husbands cousin found their grandmothers sewing machine in the haymow of the barn as they were getting ready to tear it down. All rusted and horrible deplorable condition. He sandblasted it and primed it gray. Everything nice about it was ruined. But he gave it to me and it means the world to us as it was their grandma's. Someday we may find a Billy who is willing to do a paint for us. If not we have the story to tell to the grandkids. The manual was in the cabinet and so we do have a pic of what it should look like. Wouldn't it have been nice to have a pic of grandma using it?? Remember that ladies and gents....the machine you leave to your kids/grandkids will mean much more if they remember you using it or see pics of you using it. I think I may go set up the tripod now and do some self pics at every machine!! (Unless I forget to do it!!!) LOL! And then I'll go develop and stick a pic in the drawer of every cabinet...and the FW will have a pic in the box.....and the carry cases of the other machines! Unless...I.....4...get.....again!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 PM

Hi Everyone! I've been away from here for a while, due to access issues with my work computer, but appears I can get back on. Hope everyone is good. I lurk sometimes from home, and I see Charlee has had some health issues. I sent her a PM last night.

Well, I got another old Davis VF1...it's probably 1893. I got it locally, which was amazing!! Not in great shape, but she sews well. The cabinet is damaged, so DH has some work to do. He has it clamped together right now so it won't shake apart when I treadle her. The coffin top is with it (amazingly!), but it's damaged, too, so another repair job. Overall I'm very happy with her...she came with some of her attachments and some needles and some bobbins. She was in the same family for about 85 years, and stored in a hot garage for the last 35 years. I'm glad I got to rescue her...the guy's mother was going to take her to the dump!! Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails october-quilts-machines-007.jpg   october-quilts-machines-009.jpg  
Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM

Jjack,
I'm so glad that you were able to rescue her from certain death! The things people throw away.