Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pedal foot pain? >

Pedal foot pain?

Pedal foot pain?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:30 AM

I did a search on foot pain and all I came up with are sewing machine 'feet'. I am experiencing pain on the upper side of my right (pedal) foot. All I can think of is that the Sunday/Monday sewathon did me in. Anyone else experience this type of foot pain. I can hardly bend my foot for the pain in that joint. I've tried icing it and arnica cream. I'm going to rest it again today and if it's not better, will have to go see the doc. I may have to learn to use the left foot (notice I'm not giving up sewing.) Driving a car is a different story.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Pam

I had to wear one of those "boots" for weeks on my Right foot. Putting it on and off for driving ect, well I just decided to drive with my left did it all winter long! Just go around the block a couple of times and you will be an expert in no time.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

One time I spent a whole day at the sewing machine and the next day I couldn't move the whole right side of my body. I was in so much pain from the shoulder to my toes for days. I have learned if I turn my pedal sideways my foot doesn't ache or hurt at all.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

How far in front of you is the pedal? Mine used to slowly push forward, and I had to pull it back closer to my body from time to time. Now that the box of batting is stored under that table, it can't go far.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:16 AM

When my foot hurts I use the cruise control. I need to set it slower than I usually sew, but I will not give it up either.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

How did you have your foot resting on the pedal ? sometimes I get a cramp it only part of my foot is on the pedal, so I know to move my foot or the pedal for a better position, so that my whole foot rests on the pedal. I also move my foot and pedal from time-to-time so that it doesn't get stiff or sore .

Hope you are feeling better soon :thumbup:
Old 05-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Thanks everyone. Somehow it's better knowing that others have had this happen too! I have not found a sure fire way to keep the pedal from moving around. Now I have my hard plastic machine cover stopping it from moving farther than I can reach. I probably have to be more diligent about placement. In the meantime I will be using my left foot until that one goes too! LOL Maride, I thought you used cruise control on the freeway all the time! That would be treacherous for me in our congested freeways. I guess I would no longer have a problem with my right foot then, huh?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I did a search on foot pain and all I came up with are sewing machine 'feet'. I am experiencing pain on the upper side of my right (pedal) foot. All I can think of is that the Sunday/Monday sewathon did me in. Anyone else experience this type of foot pain. I can hardly bend my foot for the pain in that joint. I've tried icing it and arnica cream. I'm going to rest it again today and if it's not better, will have to go see the doc. I may have to learn to use the left foot (notice I'm not giving up sewing.) Driving a car is a different story.
When my foot aches like that it's not actually my foot that's the problem. The problem is a pinched nerve in my lower back.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Being a Bernina owner with a knee lift I regularly use my left foot on the pedal. My serger requires the right. I have my pedal on a rubber mat to help keep it from sliding forward. I also have a plastic box the same height as the pedal that I rest my non sewing foot on. That allows me to keep my body equally aligned. Having arthritis in my back and having been a quilter and sewer for more than 50 years makes any little aid a real necessity.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM
Power Poster

You can use your hand or elbow on the foot pedal. Just rest it on the table and try. Nothing to lose. It is years since I did it.