Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
basement quilting room >

basement quilting room

basement quilting room

Old 05-25-2010, 05:37 AM

My husband tried to relugate me to the dungeon(basement)...but I told him that the lighting wasn't good with flouresent lights and that with the little bitty windows that didn't really open...that he really didn't want to deal with me being witchy 365 a year... :lol: I deserve to have access to fresh air and light and I have the son's old bedroom, which my husband was going to make into his computer room...
Old 05-25-2010, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I am in Colorado and it's so dry here! so my basement sewing room is fine for me here. In HOuston, where i'm from, we don't have basements so it was on ground level and did fine.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM

My "Sewing Studio" is in the English Basement (ground level with four large windows) of our 40+ year old raised ranch home. We've never had water or moisture and all three of my sewing machines (one an embroidery) have performed without problems. I'm guessing that some basements may be 'way below ground level with no windows and there's when the problems occur. Belles
Old 05-25-2010, 08:09 PM

I've had my sewing room in our basement for 20 years now. I've had water in it once.. YIKES!!! but since it is just concrete and we had everything up off the floor it didn't hurt anything. (Just scares me when we leave town)

Like others I do run a dehumidifier down there from this time of year until fall.. I have my fabric down there, and my machines are down there as well.

I love it because no one wants anything down there including the space.. so I have LOTS of room and I've never had any problems with musty smells or anything like that. I use task lighting because the gray walls suck up the light. I love it down there.

I can work on a project until it's finished without having to clean it all up every time I stop sewing! I tried an upstairs bedroom, but there just isn't near enough room, so I went back to the basement.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Missi
I know others around here have their sewing rooms in the basement. Have any of you had problems with moisture? A quilting lady told me not to keep my machine in the basement cause of all the moisture. She also said she would be careful of fabric down there cause of mildew, etc.

I have never noticed a damp feel until just this week. I am running a dehumidifier and for western Kansas it is super humid and I can't run my AC - well I won't run my AC until the contractor has my bathroom ceiling in. Right now I have an exposed attic and not gonna cool the outside :) The contractor might be getting a phone call if I don 't see him tomorrow :)
my sewing room is not in the base ment,but it is in my laundry room.have had all fabs & machines in there for 20 yrs w/ no problemms at all