Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HUGE Ironing board >

HUGE Ironing board

HUGE Ironing board

Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM

Forgive me if this has been suggested, because I have not read all the posts.

It was suggested to me that I should get 1 1/2 yds of warm and natural batting, fold it in to a thickness of four, and use that to iron my fabric on a table. LOVE IT! I can fold it and put it away and don't need anything large and bulky in my sewing room. I actually put it on my cutting table.

Diane
Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I love seeing ideas for ironing boards!
Now that the discussion of ironing boards has come up, I have one that is the opposite of the large ones. A handy sm. one.

My most used ironing board is made from the cardboard that fabric bolts come on. The ones that are still solid & not the recent ones that just fold. I cover them with one or two layers of InsulBrite. I glue it along the edge & not in the center. Then I wrap it with a sturdy fabric. I use a hot glue gun to overlap it along one long edge.

Then trim narrow ends so they'll turn over neatly then use the glue gun again to secure it.

Gluing down the center would be a mess if you hit that side with the iron. Ask me how I discovered that. Duuh.

I decided to take pix to help it make sense. I find this pc. to be invaluable & have made them for friends.

When it gets ugly from spray starch or gets burned after awhile, I just add another layer of fabric & glue it down. Looks new again.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74785.jpe   attachment-74786.jpe  
Old 05-28-2010, 02:37 AM

I took a cardboard bolt that was empty and covered it with batting and some heavy material. I use it for small items when doing blocks. It's a little long but fits rather well on my sewing table. I need to replace it though and the ideas here are great! Now I just need more room! LOL...
Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 AM

Pat G, great idea for a smaller iron surface. Just super ideas for ironing boards. Yes, I agree with, I need more space too for the larger iron area.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:16 AM

I am happy with my regular ironing board and steamer for yard goods, but I was so impressed by what Bella Boo, Marguerita, and others said about using a small firm board for pieces, blocks, applique, etc., that I made one this morning. Thanks for the great tip!
Old 05-28-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bessie
Originally Posted by sandiphi
Bessie, if you right click on the picture, you should get a menu that gives you the option to rotate the picture clockwise or counter clockwise.
Thank you very much for this suggestion, but I have done the right click and selected rotate and it is still not happening. It may be the Vista program that is not allowing it. I have had other issues with photos on other programs. Will have to be sure I have vertical shots of what I want to post so I don't have this problem.
Bessie,

Are you saving the picture AFTER it is rotated? If you don't save it and give it another name, (or choose "save changes" to the original file name), it will revert back to it's original position.

If you open the photo named "Ironing board" and needs to be rotated, then rotate, then choose FILE, SAVE AS, give it a new name like "Ironing Board 1" and save it. Then open again to see if it fixed the problem.

Hope that helped.

Diane
Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by sandiphi
Bessie, if you right click on the picture, you should get a menu that gives you the option to rotate the picture clockwise or counter clockwise.
Sandy, I right-clicked on the photo but there was no "rotate" option. Is it possible that that option only comes up as members are trying to submit a photo to the Board?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

I got a pocket door from the landlord. I covered that with batting and musline. It works great. gives me plenty of room for fabric and I can lay a cutting mat on top to. I put this over my cutting table. works like a dream, and it was free. :D The landlord thought I was nuts. but he did not have to hall it to the dump. It is so funny how you see a use for everything when other people thinks its junk. God bless. Penny
Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM

question for those of you making your own big boards and the cabinets they are on- what is the height and what type of cabinet did you use. i was looking for a dresser, but found that they were either too low or too high. mine should be about 38 or 39 inches. and then i thought i didn't want drawers but would prefer cubby holes. i'd like the board to be removable for storing because of limited space. what do you think?
Old 05-30-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by 8gr8kids
Right click on picture you sent.
Save to My Pictures as ironing board
Go to My pictures and right click on "ironing board"
Open with Paint
View, Rotate until you get it the way you want it
Save
Thank you very much and I hope this works for me the next time.