Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Antique Method of Crazy Quilting >

Antique Method of Crazy Quilting

Antique Method of Crazy Quilting

Old 05-26-2010, 10:21 AM
GP

Has anyone used the antique method that was used in Victorian Crazy Quilts. My question is how do you pickup the foundation fabric when sewing down each piece? What stitch and after the first piece is down how do you stitch the next one, grab the foundation and keep the tacking down stitches from showing, not the decorative stitches that will be on top.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

It is the same technique as paper piecing. You lay your first fabric on the foundation face up in the center, the next piece face down. Stitch along one side, open up the top fabric and finger press/iron press the piece (depending on the fabrics) and keep going like this til your foundation block is covered. You could staystitch around the edge of the block after the foundation is covered, to hold it all in place, using an 1/8" seam. Then decorate with embroidery stitches.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Haven't tried it, but I'm attaching a front and back scan of a crazy quilt block I have.

It appears to me that a lot of the pieces had the edges turned under and were sewn down with a running stitch.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-73776.jpe   attachment-73777.jpe  
Old 05-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

Interesting!!! So they butted some pieces together, and some were layed on top?
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Here is a good instructional guide. It sounds like it exactly like pp using a fabric underlayment to provide stability for the different fabric types. You just use a running stitch or standard machine stitch. When you turn the pieces over, you won't see the stitches. The back doesn't matter because there is always a simple backing attached (usually velvet and NO batting).
http://www.ehow.com/how_13974_interl...azy-quilt.html
Old 05-26-2010, 11:26 AM

I thought all the crazy quilting was just "top stitching" over the seams. Little clarification here, please.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
GP

From the book Crazy Quilting The Complete Guide, by J. Marsha Michler, it says the Antique way of crazy quilting means that the patches must be fastened in place by embroidery. It just doesn't say that the foundation fabric will be picked up when doing the embroidery, that is why I had a question. This book also gives 9 other ways of doing crazy quilting but I was intersted in the Antique way.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:09 PM

You've brought up some very interesting questions. I've never made a crazy, but its on my someday list. I think they're beautiful.

Are you doing it in all cottons or are you mixing up the materials?
Old 05-26-2010, 12:17 PM
GP

If I can achieve the look I want I may stay with cottons, but dark velvets, and silk sound interesting. This will be my first crazy quilt. I'm just now in the research and gathering stages. Although I did look at Michael's today in the jewelry section and found many nice, pretty and different beads and things I could add to it. I'm really planning two. One for the front room wall and one for my Korean daughter. I've been saving oriental materials for several years to make her a quilt. I think a crazy quilt would be really great for her. I'm also researching all the different kinds of stitches to embroider. I'm getting excited just writing about it.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

My grandmother loved Crazy Quilts but she didn't do the embroidery on the seams. She even made my mom a quilt for her wedding out of silk pieces for the top and satin for the backing and then tied it. My mom made me a Crazy Quilt, again without the embroidery, from clothes that we wore as kids. It's fun identifying all the different pieces.

Crazy Quilt my mom hand stitched
[ATTACH=CONFIG]74033[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74028.jpe   attachment-74029.jpe