Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
So Discouraged.. >

So Discouraged..

So Discouraged..

Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 AM

I practiced my machine quilting for hours. I finally became confident enough to try it on a twin sized quilt. I practiced one more time before I started and everything looked good. I started quilting. I was about 1/4 the way through, turned the quilt over and the tension was loose underneath! I broke my machine trying to fix the tension. I had to skin the work that I had done. I moved to another machine and began quilting again, checking every so often to make sure the bottom tension was tight. Things went great and I was about 3/4 of the way done and had to change the bobbin. I turned the quilt over and the tension was bad again! Because of the quilt pattern I was using, curly hearts and circles, I had to skin the quilt again!!!!! I am going to have to replace the batting, and mend some small holes caused by my careless use of a seam ripper. My fingers are sore, my back is sore and I am weary. The quilt was supposed to be a gift to be delivered this Monday. I don't want to give it to anyone now. I will never think it will be good enough to give as a present. I am so discouraged right now, I am really down on myself and I need some encouragement.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Google Goddess

you will get it in time, practice, practice, practice, just use the quilt to practice on
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 AM
Google Goddess

was reading this thread and found this thread also on the board to read

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-4154-3.htm
Old 05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

It's amazing how a sample can sew up perfectly and the real thing goes to crap and nothing was changed. When I free motion quilt I triple check everything and quilt on a sample for at least 15 minutes before I start quilting on my quilt. Whenever the quilting is going great I write down the tension settings, the size and brand of thread used, the size and brand of needle, and the type and brand of batting I'm using. One small change and the nice quilting can turn ugly next time.

How did you break your machine by adjusting the tension?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:50 AM

after reading the thread that Craftybear suggested, I don't think I broke my machine after all. I took apart the pieces underneath the bobbin and I dropped one of them. When the problem was worse after I put it back together, I assumed that I had broken something. I am going to try all of the suggestions and see what I can do.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Banned

Never give up!! :thumbup:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74175.jpe  
Old 05-27-2010, 07:58 AM

I feel your pain! Quilting is so difficult for some and others just whiz through it. You sure were brave to try designs on your first go. I think that shows you have the confidence and determination needed. And now you have additional practice under your belt. It will get easier.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:59 AM

Sorry you are having so much trouble.

This just reminds me why I will stay with hand quilting while I still can.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Although it may be discouraging, don't give up! When I 1st started quilting I spent about 6 hrs of rip'n to every 1 hr of quilting! 1st tension issues, then tucks in the backing, then misalligned rows... One day you'll be quilt'n and realise it's 'been a while' since you had to rip & you'll be filled w/joy :)
Old 05-27-2010, 08:14 AM

I did the same thing with the new long arm. I practiced through 4 yards of fabric and everything was fine. Loaded up the first quilt and the back was so covered with eyelashes it was positively fuzzy. I learned to do about two inches then stop and check everything.
Stay with it, be patient, check often. It will all come together.