Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Rescued?? >

Rescued??

Rescued??

Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Power Poster

I will just add my WOW to the others, it turned out beautifully.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

I just had to come back and look at that again!!! :lol:
Thats awesome!!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:14 PM

I don't think anyone can say hand quilting it would have made it more beautiful. It's got life now, which it didn't have stashed away somewhere in the dark. Gorgeous!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM

What beautiful you've done on a lovely quilt. Your work set the stage. It's a work of art!!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Dang!!! If you asked me I would say it was a brand new quilt. Georgious is what it is.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 PM

Well, the way I look at it is that you have the antique and the modern together. If it inhances the pattern in the antique quilt, and that is what someone wants done, machine or long arm quilting, then why not. I have a feeling that if my grandmother were still alive and saw one of her quilts quilted like this she would be ecstatic. I think that, although she did nothing but hand quilting, she would love the way this type of quilting made all of her hard work of piecing stand out.

There was a discussion on here a while back where somone thought that quilts should not be aloud in a quilt show since they were put together by someone on a sewing machine and quilted on a long arm. It sparked pages and pages of controversy, so I guess opinions will really differ, but look at the antique quilts that Eddie has taken and quilted...now they are saved and now they will last longer and their beauty is well enhanced.

On the other hand, DH says that if they are quilted on a long arm or by machine then they are no longer antique. I say that in that case they are no longer antique if they are quilted at all,even by hand, because no matter how they are quilted, by hand, machine or long arm, they are being quilted in 2010, not 1900 or whatever, so what is the difference? In that case they can't be quilted at all??!! The only difference I see is that hand quilting was the thing back then, but there is still the question of the date which it was quilted. Quilting is quilting in general. Although some is prettier and some prefer one over the other, I see nothing wrong with one over the other, I love all quilting and they type and way it is done can make or break, I am sure....OK...whose next? And, by the way....that quilt is sooooo beautiful!!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Power Poster

WOW!!! You did a marvelous job on the quilting!!! No puckers/shrunk blocks anymore!!! :D:D:D

I think it is a personal choice, and in this case the results more than justify using a machine :D:D:D
Old 06-02-2010, 04:24 PM

I agree, You just brought that quilt to life. I love all the quilting but the stippling just set it off. Good Job.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Rescued? Definitely!!! Whether by long arm or by hand does it really matter?The end result is breathtaking and it will be enjoyed and marveled over, touched, lain under and cherished!That is what we all hope for.You did a fantastic job on their treasure. :thumbup:
Old 06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
WOW! That is just gorgeous! You did a fabulous job of quilting it. I know there are those who will think it's sacrilege to machine quilt something like that but I disagree. You turned it into something she and her mother will cherish, as opposed to it just languishing in a box somewhere never to be used and loved. Great job!
I agree!