Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good deal, bad deal? >

Good deal, bad deal?

Good deal, bad deal?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm about to receive a small settlement. I'm putting aside approximately 2G's for a new sewing & embroidery machine. A young lady pulled me aside in my LQS and offered to sell me her Viking topaz 30 for twenty-seven hundred dollars, in which she purchased earlier this year. She says she's only sewn on it for about 60-90 days. Good deal or bad deal? I've never seen or sewn on the machine. What questions should I ask regarding a used machine? How do I know if I'll be given all the things that go with the machine? Help.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM

I would check Craig's list and Ebay. I would also make sure that you have all of the paperwork, user's manual and a local Viking Dealer that can lend you support. I hope all goes well for you and that in the end you get the perfect machine. BTW I am so jealous!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Administrator

price a new one. get all the details you can from the dealer about what comes with the machine; free repair and maintenance; what happens if the machine turns out to be a lemon, etc. do they include freebie extras like classes, attachments and other gadgets?

compare the cost of new - which will offer some warranty protection - against the cost of the used one - which you will buy as is. factor in the value of any free service, classes, attachment, gadgets and other goodies.

if you consider buying from the total stranger, insist on testing it for at least 30 minutes and that she give you a written agreement to take it back if you find something wrong with it in the first 30 days.

you may decide you're better off buying from the dealer.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM

Before you buy this machine,

1. Do you know this person? (Or do any of your friends know her)?

2. Have you sewn on this type of machine before??

3. Is it a machine that you want?

4. How much did it cost new?

5. If it's such a great machine, why is she selling it??

I'd also do research about the machine online to see what is generally given with the machine when it's bought new.

I'd hate to see you lose your money on a worthless machine...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I think that is too much money.

I just found a Buy It Now listing for this machine on eBay from a sewing machine outlet store, new-in-box, for $2300+85 shipping. Here is a link to it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-Viking...item4150288f49

Oops! The listing is for a Topaz 20, not a 30. However, I still think that is a lot of money for a used machine. Even if a machine has been used only a few hours, individual sellers often ask around half the retail price for a machine.

Okay. Found a completed listing for a new Topaz 30. Total of $2553 with free shipping. Not sure if you can see a completed listing without logging in to eBay, but here's the link (scroll down to read all the details of the transaction):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Husqvarna-Viking...item4aa1fa35ad
Old 06-21-2010, 12:48 PM

Hi, The new Topaz 30's go for $3,400 new w/warranty and some software. A viking Gallery store will always give you lessons. A Viking Dealer chooses whether or not to help you. Viking Machines have a wonderful sensor system that allows you to sew almost hands free. The Topaz 20 is the same machine-less features, smaller emb arm, no cut feature.you can get the Topaz 20 for about $2,500. If you buy this machine outsidethe dealer/gallery there is no warranty. The warranty for their machines is 1year overall. 5yrs computer system. 20 yrs Manufacturer defect. this is fot the electronic machines and up. If you have any questions about the Viking machines pm me. I work Part time for a gallery/Company store. Anne
Old 06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

It is not how many days , but how many hours were sewn on it ? Some sew every day for hours on end, others will only sew occasionaly .

Has it ever been serviced ?
If so why ?

Check the price of the machine new :lol:
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Kitty
I'm about to receive a small settlement. I'm putting aside approximately 2G's for a new sewing & embroidery machine. A young lady pulled me aside in my LQS and offered to sell me her Viking topaz 30 for twenty-seven hundred dollars, in which she purchased earlier this year. She says she's only sewn on it for about 60-90 days. Good deal or bad deal? I've never seen or sewn on the machine. What questions should I ask regarding a used machine? How do I know if I'll be given all the things that go with the machine? Help.
Thanks for all the advice :thumbup:
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM

The problem with buying a machine that is still warranteed online is that you have to ship it whenever it needs cleaning/repair. Other dealers will NOT honor other sellers machine warranty. There is no warranty with Viking for machines that are purchased online. I know this for a fact. Anne
Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 PM

The Viking Topaz machines I have seen at the LQS I go to have been slightly over $3000. I do not recall...did you ask her why she wants to sell it? There is most likely nothing wrong with it...I am guessing she either needs the money or has decided she wants a different machine. While I would love to upgrade to a Viking Diamond, the Topaz is one that I can afford and it is probably what I will look into getting later this fall. It is a very nice machine and the Topaz owners I have talked with have been very happy with theirs. The only thing that I would encourage you to do is make sure that you have a Viking dealer who will be willing to give you classes/assistance with the machine.