Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Hand Quilting >

Hand Quilting

Hand Quilting

Old 07-15-2010, 08:52 AM

What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76627.jpe   attachment-76628.jpe   attachment-76629.jpe   attachment-76631.jpe   attachment-76644.jpe  

attachment-76652.jpe   attachment-76653.jpe   attachment-76654.jpe   attachment-76655.jpe   attachment-76656.jpe  

Old 07-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

OMG you do stunning work :mrgreen: Someday I want to learn to hand quilt as well as you do.

I think many are machine quilting as it is faster and they can move on to the next project . Time is a premium anymore , so much to do so little time. I hope it is not a dying hobby

AND THANK YOU for sharing your pics :lol:
Old 07-15-2010, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
OMG you do stunning work :mrgreen: Someday I want to learn to hand quilt as well as you do.

I think many are machine quilting as it is faster and they can move on to the next project . Time is a premium anymore , so much to do so little time. I hope it is not a dying hobby

AND THANK YOU for sharing your pics :lol:
Well, I think if you know you are giving something to someone that will use it like a blanket, machine work makes a lot of sense. If you are making an heirloom thats a different story. The machine quilting that I think is such an art is shown here in an example I took a picture of at the Sisters quilt show. Then you will understand what I mean.
This machine work to me is awesome. And it doesn't count in what I don't like about machine work. A baby quilt or one for people that don't have a clue what work goes into it would be good machine pieced and machine quilted. I guess thats what most people are making.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76632.jpe  
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

OMG Rhuelina, your hand quilting is exquisite! All your echo quilting that looks like only 1/4" apart is indeed a lot of hard work! I handquilt too and like you I do have an appreciation for the beautiful machine quilting and I have just invested in a longarm machine myself. I agree that the all over meander doesn't do a thing for me either and definitely don't want to fall into that trap simply because it is quick and easy to do. For a quilt that will be roughly loved, a utility quilt and some charity work it is fine and a good way to get comfortable with longarming and machine quilting. But I feel so many quilters get stuck in a rut of doing that and nothing else.
It takes a long time to handquilt and I have so many quilts inside of me that want to get out so I invested in a long arm. But I will still continue to hand quilt. I also agree that shows should judge handquilting as a category unto itself.
Your quilts are beautiful I especially like your NY Beauty quilt with the concentric circles quilted all over. Do you quilt with a lap hoop or do you have a frame?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:12 AM

First, I think your quilts are gorgeous. I've loved that old butterfly pattern and always want to make it, and now, thanks to you, I'm digging it out and will start cutting it tonight or this weekend.!!
I too am impressed with the good machine quilting (Harriet Hargrave and Diane Gaudinsky come to mind) and lament those quilts with big curliques and swirls that detract from the quilt. Currently, I do both machine and hand piecing and must say that I have better control over my work with hand piecing. I think it's a matter of patience and whether one buys into the notion that nowadays everything must be quick, quick or one is wasting time.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

you do beautiful handwork. I've done lapquilts by hand but not as detailed as yours. To me handquilting is just calming. I have a big lapquilt now that I am itching to sandwich up and spend some time handquilting.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:14 AM

All I can say is WOW! Your quilts are gorgeous. Hopefully hand quilting will never die out.

I think one of the reasons machine quilting is so popular has to do with time and patience. At least that's it for me. The quilts I've hand quilted have taken months, and in some cases years, to complete. I like to see results quicker. Also, many take advantage of long-arm quilting services.

I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do.
I remember when it was the machine quilters who weren't recognized. Machine quilters were told they weren't quilting if it wasn't done by hand. Now it seems just the opposite. I feel there should be a place for each.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by rhueluna
What is happening to handwork? All we see now at quilt shows is machine work. I am keeping up the best I can to show handwork as the way to go. But I know the big machine makers are pushing for machine work to sell their goods. I love the intricate designs they make on the heavily machine quilted quilts and think its a real work of art. But to take a hand pieced old fabric quilt top and hit it with a bunch of loops on a machine breaks my heart. Each way has its own field. I wished someone would put handwork areas of the quilt shows to show off the hard work we hand quilters do. Here are a few of my hand quilted items I hope you like. I wonder what others have to say about it. I know when I talk to other hand quilters, they feel the same way and we are not noticed for the hard work. Keep up the good work all you hand quilters. And keep up the great art of the small machine designs that are so beautiful. But the whip em out big loops don't do a thing for me. I wonder what you all think.
I am learning to hand quilt right now. I am working on a full size patriotic QAYG. I think the history of quilting is important to preserve. I appreciate the beauty of the machine quilted projects and know there should always be progress to keep quilting alive, but give me a hand quilted quilt any time.

BTW: Your quilting is beautiful and an inspiration to me.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Your quilts are fabulous. I dont think anything is as pretty as hand quilting, however, I know I have arthritis in my hands and by the time I finsh hand sewing the binding on the back of a quilt,,,,,My hands hurt. So hand quilting (even if I knew how)a whole quilt, would be out of the question. Your work is beautiful!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:20 AM

You do amazing work! Your quilts are beautiful! I admire your handquilting , that is the way my Mother quilted, and she tried to teach me. I was able to do a acceptable stitch, but never really learned the rhythem. I also think I would have a hard time figuring out an appropiate pattern to follow. Maybe that is why so many like the big machines, some have automatic patterns. NOt sure about that, but I think most quilters just want to get their quilts finished and looking nice so they have a finished quilt to show or share.