Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Aunt Becky method >

Aunt Becky method

Aunt Becky method

Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM

Has anyone used this method for hand quilting? If so what did you think of it. I would like to hand quilt but I have tried the rocking method & I just can't get the hang of it & the above method really looks a lot easier. Don't want to waste a lot of money for the Aunt Becky plus the frame & thimble if it isn't as easy as it looks. Thanks
Serena
Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM

I have hand quilted for almost 30 years using the rocking method. I took the class for Aunt Becky from Jean Brown. Still trying to get the technique. The rocking took me time too. But I didn't find the Aunt Becky that easy, but could be because I had already use the rocking technique. If you have never hand quilted it might be easier. No bad habits to break. LOL

Jean Brown has a great site with a video. I believe it is Jean's impressions. Just do a google search.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I purchased one but I have not tried it yet. I am going to try it on my next quilt. I have very large callouses on the index and middle fingers of my left hand and I am hoping I can get used to using the Aunt Becky.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

All the gals in our bee purchased it but never got the hang of it.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM

I don't use the Aunt Becky, my quilting method works without thimbles and with collouses....but try to use the Search-Function here on the board. There are some threads regarding that tool and maybe it is helpful for you with a lot of information.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 AM

BornToHandQuilt was so sweet to guide me to Aunt Becky, even though she did not use it in her hand quilting. I did purchase one and have watched the video but want to watch the video and "quilt along with the video." The video site is: jeansimpressions.com. I am doing some handquilting at the present time and am slowly getting the "motion." It is hard to break the habit of the rocking motion. Aunt Becky certainly does make it easier for more even and smaller stitches--now if I can just get the speed and not the slow motion approach--it does save the "fingers." Aunt Becky is $3 and some cents but the postage makes it about $6. I still think it will be a good investment.
Old 07-20-2010, 03:50 AM

Takes awhile to get used to this method, but once you get it, you will like it. Not so fast at first, but you almost get to where it is no effort at all.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:52 AM

Thank you everyone for your input. I think I will bite the bullet & buy everything. Can't find it in Canada so will order from the U.S.. I am planning on retiring so want something to do with my hands when sitting.