Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will my quilts ever get better? >

Will my quilts ever get better?

Will my quilts ever get better?

Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 AM

I have made a few quilts now, and I love doing it. But they still aren't near as good as some of the quilts I see on here. I'm learning all the time, and I do see some improvement from one to the next, but that's not saying much when they were crappy to begin with!

Will I ever get "good"? I still cant do good triangle points, and wouldn't dream of tackling a circle!

I have always done my own quiliting, mostly by hand, but I have some bigger quilts in the works, and honestly, I am afraid to send them off to be quilted. I am afraid "they" will think my quilts are too terrible to even quilt!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Your quilts will definitely get better. My first quilt was made with four big applique blocks and a lot of smaller five-inch patches, just scraps. I sewed the five-inch patches in rows, and looking at it, you can see some of the seam intersections are off by as much as half an inch.

I was three or four quilts in before I learned that I needed to press the seams of rows in alternating directions so that the corners would match up nicely.

I don't claim to be a perfect quilter now, but if I look at my quilts and compare them, in each one I've learned more and gotten better. You have (and will) too, I'm sure.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Most of us feel that way when we see the gorgeous quilts others have done. It can be discouraging when you compare your work with that of someone else. Compare with yourself rather than others. Try to recognize the improvement you've made in each quilt. Quilting is the same as anything else you want to learn. It takes practice, practice, practice. You learn to crawl before you walk, and how to walk before you run. And last of all, you're probably your worst critic.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Well, if you're seeing improvement then YES...you will get better. You ARE getting better!

If you have specific questions, we will try our best to help! I have never tackled a circle...dunno if I ever will!

As for a quilter turning their nose up at your quilt...I doubt that would happen. And in the unlikely event they did...I wouldn't want them sewing their disdain into one of my quilts anyway!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Yes, they will get better!! I still don't think mine are that good after many years! But everyone else likes them. Most of us seem to be self-critical and I guess that's just part of the creative process, I don't know.
I HAVE found that quilts I didn't think were very good when finished look a lot better as time goes on. I'm just too critical of my work while I'm doing it I think.
Also- the more I sloooowww dooowwwnnnn while I'm working the better I do.
I still have so much fun though!! :D
Old 07-21-2010, 06:18 AM

I have no doubt you'll get better (and feel better) as you gain experience. I just finished my first big quilt -- a kaleidoscope that I started in Feb '09. The workmanship is extremely flawed but I still like it, because of the colors. It seems like I learn one new way to improve with each project.

Surely you shouldn't be embarrassed to send your quilts out to a LAQ!

I think one thing I should be doing (but haven't so far) is to stay with a similar pattern (or one using the same techniques) so that I can get better at them before taking on some new skills. Some of the basics I've learned from this board is:

1. starch your fabric so that the cuts are very precise and the pieces don't stretch out of shape while sewing.
2. when cutting, don't skimp on the measurement -- but be consistent.
3. go as slow as you need to keep stitching straight and maintain 1/4" seams
4. use something to ensure your 1/4" seams (either a special foot or a guide you stick on your machine -- like a couple of post-its)
5. use patterns that tell you which direction to press (some don't) because it's pressing in the right direction that makes those points line up. BTW, if you've starched your fabric, finger pressing can be sufficient in many cases.

I'm sure others will be more helpful -- but don't be discouraged! Some of the quilters on this board are VERY experienced and sewing and quilting.

One last word...hand quilted finishing is even better!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 AM
Power Poster

I think you are being way to hard on yourself. We all have to start somewhere. When I look at my beginning quilt I can see the progress I am making and I'm happy. And that first quilt I made is still being used by my DGD and she loves it. Just keep sewing and working on new things and you will just keep improving.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:21 AM

Follow the directions from Marcia, and you won't go wrong! :wink:
Old 07-21-2010, 06:22 AM

I can tell that even after just a few quilts - well, lets be honest - a few UFO's - that I have gotten better. I am still very careful to choose things I think I can realistically do and they are nothing like most I see here :)

Don't worry - its the process sometimes not just the final product. We put so much time into these quilts the creating has to be fun!

And - no one notices the mistakes you might on your quilt. :)

I can't tell you how much of a difference each step makes. Don't skip the washing fabric before you start. I learned that the hard way - now I always prewash.

And to get corners to line up, I have one seam go one way and one the other so they "nestle" up together. Works like a charm!
Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 AM

If you compare to nonquilters your fantastic!!
VS someone who has had 5 quilting classes, still not bad!!
VS graphic artist quilter, still not bad!!
VS professional quilter, still not bad!!
VS 20 year veteran, still not bad !!
Don't be hard on yourself, all levels are here on the board, and those listed above know this, just so happens to be a journey we all are on !!
Enjoy the trip !! :)