Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another machine for me!!! >

Another machine for me!!!

Another machine for me!!!

Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Hubby is buying me a Janome Jem Platinum for taking to classes and using in the camper; as it only weighs 12 lbs. and also has alot of little extras. Called, and made arrangements to pick it up at the quilt show next weekend. Will save the Kenmore I use for classes to do !curtains, shorten his jeans, and other heavy jobs. I know my Horizon can do all that; but why risk breaking anything on that when my tough Kenmore will do the dirty jobs. lol
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Isn't it just so great to have multiple machines? Congrats!

BTW - Do you do your jean hems the easy method that keeps the original look at the bottom? If not, would you like the instructions to do so? I wouldn't hem jeans any other way since finding out about that method.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:15 PM

I have both a Janome Gem Platinum and a Janome 760 for classes and I love them both. I was using a Brother electronic for classes but it was just getting too darn heavy to haul to classes. We have 2 homes in 2 different states so needed a lightweight machine handy to take to classes in both locations. I ended up with 2 different models only because I got really great deals on both. I also bought one of those sew steady tables to take to class too and use with my machine, I store it in a pillowcase cover so it doesn't get scratched. I've worked on quilts and fleece blankets and garments on these machines and they are great!
Old 07-23-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2K

BTW - Do you do your jean hems the easy method that keeps the original look at the bottom? If not, would you like the instructions to do so? I wouldn't hem jeans any other way since finding out about that method.
I would be interested to hear about this method. My DH has really short legs and I end up hemming every new pair of pants he gets.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
I know my Horizon can do all that;
How do you like your Horizon? Pros?? and Con??
Old 07-23-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Originally Posted by 2K

I would be interested to hear about this method. My DH has really short legs and I end up hemming every new pair of pants he gets.
I would like to know too. It can only come in handy and my sister needs to know anyway.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by 2K
Isn't it just so great to have multiple machines? Congrats!

I'd like to know!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Yes, I do want to know about hemming jeans that way. Please share!! My hubby is only a 26 1/2" inseam, so have to shorten every pair we buy.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:41 PM

I would like to know as well, as I most likely will have to cut and hem any jeans I buy!
Old 07-23-2010, 05:42 PM

I cannot give you a fair judgement on the Horizon, because I have had a very busy life since buying it and haven't had much time on it. I was very impressed, what I did do with it; and have a great Janome dealer who worked with me on everything a quilter would use the machine for. We even have it set up on scant quarter as the default when I turn on the machine....can't ask for better than that!