Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
quilt entered at the "un" fair >

quilt entered at the "un" fair

quilt entered at the "un" fair

Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 PM

Okay, so I entered a quilt in this year's local fair. I did not enter a spectacular quilt, just a cute fun quilt with no plans to come home with a ribbon. I only wanted to be able to say "look, I made that, and it's displayed at the fair!". I was completely aware that not all quilts would be hung on a wall, as previous years , some were presented over racks, chairs etc.. This year however as you will see in my first picture, several were folded and placed into cubbies, yes that's right, folded up!!! You couldn't even see the quilts! The one next to mine in a cubby even won a ribbon and was folded with just the name on the outside, uuuuhhhgggg. I was so sad! :( My family and friends went with me to see my quilt. Well I have attatched photo's to share with you what my quilt looks like, since the fair goers will never see it. Oh, and my sweet hubby, waited til I was not home and contacted the person in charge of the quilts and made surwe they realized how sad it is for us to see out quilts folded up when we entered them to be viewed. (he does not like it when someone makes me sad, Im a very happy person). Well, I feel better sharing my experience with my quilt friends, I new you would listen and understand.

How quilt is being seen at fair
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71652[/ATTACH]

ladybug windmills
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71653[/ATTACH]

Prairie points around entire quilt with bug binding
[ATTACH=CONFIG]71654[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-71647.jpe   attachment-71648.jpe   attachment-71649.jpe  
Old 07-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Your quilt is darling. Not your fault it wasn't displayed. It's gorgeous.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:04 PM

I wonder who's "bright" idea that was. I am sure it wasn't somebody that sews.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:05 PM
Power Poster

Very cute. I know that the fair in my county does not have room to display all of the quilts and it frustrates me that I cannot see them. I want to be able to see them and try to figure out why some win and others do not.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM

Oh, how sad -- the thought that any fair not exhibiting each and every quilt is a terrible thing. Your quilt is lovely and you did a great job, especially with your prairie points.
You should write a letter to the editor of your paper and let them know how hurt you were and also to let others know what could happen to them. Those who exhibit in the future will need to know and perhaps your fair will change their habits.
At our local fair not all quilts are hung but those that are not are nicely draped over chairs, etc. I hope you do not get discouraged. Continue your quilting and don't be afraid to exhibit.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:25 PM

Such a fun, cute quilt. What a shame, I always have a great time looking at all the quilts. I know, it is happening at our fair too, I guess they just don't appreciate quilting anymore. There are so many ways to display quilts, you would think they could be a little creative.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:32 PM

My mom said at her local fair some of the quilts are displayed in hanging racks like posters, that is a space saver and we would get a chance to see each quilt. It would have been better hanging loosely on a coat rack.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

That's a shame, seems like displaying practices should have been better, Your Quilts Adorable !!! Maybe a space thing?

Entered once knew no chance for a Ribbon, took them in, in a huge bag, and had the Quilt Police after me for not putting them in a pollow case, said plastic would make them smell? and she's probibly correct, the thing is when Picked up, they stunk.... every smell from the fair was on them. Yuk Yuk Yuk !!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Well that stinks. :( I absolutely love your quilt. Pink and green is one of my favorite color combos and I LOVE the prairie points.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:13 PM
Power Poster

I am so sorry that your quilt was not properly displayed :(
I would have been very sorry to have missed it...