Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pounce Pad: request reviews and feedback >

Pounce Pad: request reviews and feedback

Pounce Pad: request reviews and feedback

Old 07-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Power Poster

I would like to get some feedback or reviews on those of you who have used the Pounce pad. I am looking to get one for marking quilts with stencils but not sure if I want to get the Ultimate powder which is supposed to stay on until you iron it off or the regular white chalk powder. This will be for marking quilts destined for a long arm.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2010, 10:14 AM

I have the regular chalk powder and, after some practice, I was able to mark my quilt. However, it's messy and tends to wipe off as you manipulate the quilt using a home machine. Hope this helps.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 AM

I bought the kind that you iron to remove at the Paducah show but I haven't used it yet. I had the other before that, but I wasn't crazy about it either because it wore off before I got the quilt quilted: I quilt by machine.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

The problem I have with the pounce pad is if your fabric is different colors, the white chalk doesn't show up on light colors and the blue chalk barely shows on dark colors. What to do?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:21 PM

I love the iron off one. One downfall is you can't use it on white. One great advantage you can make you own stencils. You just need to trace you design on plain paper and use a darning needle to pierce holes along the marked edge. Simple and fast. You can also trace out your existing stencils on paper and enlarge or reduce them on the photocopier to fit any space. Yeah for money saving!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:27 PM

I bought some of the pounce and haven't used it yet. I was a little afraid to use it for some reason. I have a dark quilt to make..I think it is time to test it.
Quilter Ken...you can set the stitch length on your sewing machine to the widest and pierce your paper that way. I used a ball point needle to get larger holes.
Peace and Blessings
Old 07-26-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
I bought some of the pounce and haven't used it yet. I was a little afraid to use it for some reason. I have a dark quilt to make..I think it is time to test it.
Quilter Ken...you can set the stitch length on your sewing machine to the widest and pierce your paper that way. I used a ball point needle to get larger holes.
Peace and Blessings
Great idea, but my machine doesn't run without thread ... bummer
Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Power Poster

i have the one that wipes off and ended up spraying it with hair spray.
i also was using a stencil with connecting leaves and trying to wipe the pad across the stencil kept catching on the tiny sharp areas of the leaf design.
the chaulk is meant to be used with continous design stencils so perhaps it can be wiped across on those. i ended up "pouncing" it to get my design on the border.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Power Poster

I have had a pounce pad for about three years and I love it. I use ultimate powder when I can. It stays on while I move the quilt on my frame. I endorse it.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM

I have had one for awhile but for some reasn haven't used it. Guess it seemed like a terrific thing to use when I bought it but then I was a little apprehensive about having excess chalk all over the floor and carpet.