Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you know how to do the quilting?? >

How do you know how to do the quilting??

How do you know how to do the quilting??

Old 04-01-2008, 06:10 AM

I am trying to make a wall hanging for my parents as a 40th wedding anniversary gift. I would like to make it 3 blocks wide (1 block high) with a border around the blocks.

Once I choose the blocks - I am thinking the two on the ends to be the same and the one in the middle to be different. I have found plenty of resources to make the blocks but how will I know where to do the quilting?? I want to keep this in mind as I choose blocks.

Thanks much!!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM

In my opinion, it all depends on the design.
Sometimes I don't want stitching to go thru any sort of applique I have put on it, so I will quilt around it, maybe putting some "hidden" stitches near the applique to hold the thing together.
It mainly, in my opinion, depends on what you are actually wanting it to look like.
I know it sounds like it doesn't make sense or is of any help, but maybe look thru some of the pictures here on the board and get an idea.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:18 AM

I don't think there is a set rule on how to quilt it. You want to make sure your design is going to hold the 3 layers together.

Keep in mind that really busy fabrics can hide your quilting stitches. Plain fabrics/solids show off your patterns/stitches much better.

If I'm making a quilt like double wedding ring, I try to incorporate hearts/feathers/flowers etc. Something that helps carry the "theme".

Use your fabric as a guide--is it floral/striped/etc.

Lastly, if you are at a loss as to how to proceed--quilt in the ditch and then decide how much more you want to add.

There are many patterns/books/resources out there w/examples. If I find something I like, I photocopy because someday, I will find a way to put it into a quilt.

HTH,
Julie
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 AM

Whenever possible, I try to avoid quilting through the seam allowances. You can plan for this while piecing and pressing your quilt, if you think about it ahead of time.