Carpal Tunnel

Old 08-25-2010, 11:29 PM

I had mild CTS before getting pregnant but when I got pg the first time, it got worse. Then with each pregnancy it got worse and worse (never got better). I opted not to get surgery as it's still not as bad as some and my dr said in my case, it was 50/50 whether it would help. I have very skinny wrists, thus a narrow carpal tunnel, which is why the median nerve is so easily compressed for me. I've had some bad flareups where I couldn't use my hand at all for a few days but not for years now. I had one once where I just reached for something at a store and had horrible shooting pain all the way up past my elbow. I couldn't even hold my hand in any position where it wasn't super painful. My kids were small at the time and it really scared them-we were at a store and I had to drive home one-handed. For about 4 or 5 days my hand hurt which made it very painful to change diapers, cook, etc. Now, if I do something like hold a book, mouse (I use my left hand a lot for that), ride a bike, drive etc, I get very numb and then it hurts. I wear a brace every night and take motrin if it's hurting enough. If I don't wear the brace I will wake up during the night in intense pain.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 AM

Don't wait until you have permenant nerve damage. I suffer from the same thing. I wear a brace at night and sometimes during the day, depending on what I'm doing. Using the computer really agrevates it to. I try to limit the things that make it hurt. Good luck and I hope you get better soon.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:05 AM

I had the surgery last April and am so glad that I did. No more numbness or pain!
Old 08-26-2010, 06:01 PM

Thank you for all the replies and encouragement. I never realized that Carpal Tunnel pain was affecting so many people. I took the advice and am wearing a brace (with the metal piece) and it really helps.

I do not want any nerve damage, so am trying to be careful. It is hard when I am so decidedly right-handed. Appt. with Nerve Dr. is almost 3 weeks away. Hope the time goes fast.

Thanks again.

Eileen
Old 08-26-2010, 06:25 PM

I was first diagnosed with carpal tunnel in 1991. It wasn't too bad at the time and I learned to live with the numbness and pain...slept with braces, etc.

Then one morning in 2002 I woke up and it took an hour before the pain in my arms subsided. I decided right then that enough was enough.

I went to my Dr. and started the ball rolling on getting the surgery.

I had surgery on the left first (the worst) and then 2 weeks later on the right. Three weeks after the second surgery I was back to work with no restrictions. 2 1/2 weeks after my second surgery I was able to return to hand quilting...something that I had had to give up in 1997 because of the carpal tunnel.

The thing that I have heard from everyone I know who has had the surgery (including myself) is that you never regain the strength that you lose in your hands from the carpal tunnel...so don't delay the surgery. Wish I had known that BEFORE or I wouldn't have delayed so long!
Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 PM

I'm glad you got a brace. I have to say, my brace is like a security blanket. I kind of breathe a sigh of relief when I put it on and it just feels so comforting to me. I've been through a lot of them and my current is my favorite-it's gray and has memory foam in it. I bought it at Walmart for around $18.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:51 AM

i had carpel tunnel surgery in 97 and it helped for a while,,i did lose some stregnth in that now but now i need it again in the same hand but no insurance, now the nerves stretch in my and and it goes numb,i wear braces at night and that helps,,,i wouldn't have surgery again,,,but that is my opinion for myself
Old 08-27-2010, 03:47 AM
dmh

Yep, I had it in January. Made a huge difference. Went to a hand surgeon, it went great. Also my primary care doctor gave me an MRI first because in some cases something is wrong in the neck/shoulders that is causing the numbness to work down the arm/hands. Then the carpal tunnel would do no good. It is true that if you wait to long it could cause other damage. In my prayers! :)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:54 AM

Eileen, my experience wasn't as good as some that have posted here. Had trouble for many years off and on...ultimately had the surgery in 2008 on my right wrist/arm. Healing was slow for me and it hurt for months, even after extensive physical therapy. Finally started to ease somewhat. After some time, I started going to a good chiropractor and many of my wrist/arm/numbing stemmed from neck and shoulder issues, so before I would ever have surgery again, I would look to alternatives before taking that step. Our bodies are all different. Good luck with your process...just don't be bullied into anything. You are free to check out your options and you are in the drivers seat. The wrist braces are good too. Take care!
Old 08-27-2010, 05:09 AM

I had the surgery 20 years ago and had no problem until lately. I am getting old, but I do drop things if I am not paying attention. This could also be due to arthritis. I have had to have surgery on both of my thumbs due to bone lost. when I was unable to write anything I knew it was time. I had been putting it off for years. wearing braces did help up to a point but eventually they did not even work. :)