Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Found a longarm quilter.... >

Found a longarm quilter....

Found a longarm quilter....

Old 09-16-2010, 06:47 AM

For $40 for a full! My MIL used to do a lot of quilting, and had slacked off due to having arthritis. Well, since I've been so gung ho lately about quilting and bugging the crap out of her, LOL, she's been doing some.

She finished her Ohio Star quilt, and called me for the number to the quilt shop to see how much it would be to get it quilted. She about fell over when I told her around $80-100. She called and, sure enough, it would be around $90 for what she wanted. Which according to some on here, isnt a 'bad" price.

Anyway, she insisted that the last time she had one done (many years ago, like 15) that she paid $40. Well, she found that lady's number and she's still charging $40!!!! I couldn't believe it!

Her work is awesome, too! I just can't believe it.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Google Goddess

wow, that is awesome, be sure to post pictures to show us your finished quilts
Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Wowwwww! That's great! :D
Old 09-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Wow! Good deal! Please show pics of quilted projects! :)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 AM

can we get her name and number?
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Okay, I feel the need to kind of chime in here. I am a longarm quilter. I know the economy is a bit hard right now and watching pennies is the goal of everyone.

I am wanting to take in customer quilts to help my base line income since my disability doesn't go quite as far as the government says it should. Please don't be offended by my questions and my observations.

The quilting for $40 is a nice price. What was included for that price? Did you furnish the batting? Did you furnish the backing? Does this include attaching the binding? Does this include trimming the quilt?

The price list I have created, a full size quilt would cost around $80, BUT when that quilt is returned to the piecer it is DONE. I not only apply the binding, I also wash and dry the quilt. It is ready to be given away or used when my customer receives it back.

I prefer to wash and dry the quilt myself so I can see if there are any problems with the quilting, i.e. stitching coming out, loose threads, and remove any markings I may have done. If I have marked a quilt, and the customer does not launder the quilt correctly those markings may be there for life so I just bypass that possible disaster. I know I can spritz and wipe and the like, but even then all the chemical from the marking may not be gone or deactivated and I prefer to not take chances (mostly because I speak from bad experience)

For my own "piece" of mind I would appreciate answers to my questions so if necessary I can adjust my pricing.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 AM

WOW!! Sounds like you really focus on customer service!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
I think that you go way beyond the call of duty! How do you make any money? Do you hand sew the binding too? How long does all of this take? What is your turn around time?
Sounds like you could charge a lot more for your extra services.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt
Okay, I feel the need to kind of chime in here. I am a longarm quilter. I know the economy is a bit hard right now and watching pennies is the goal of everyone.

I am wanting to take in customer quilts to help my base line income since my disability doesn't go quite as far as the government says it should. Please don't be offended by my questions and my observations.

The quilting for $40 is a nice price. What was included for that price? Did you furnish the batting? Did you furnish the backing? Does this include attaching the binding? Does this include trimming the quilt?

The price list I have created, a full size quilt would cost around $80, BUT when that quilt is returned to the piecer it is DONE. I not only apply the binding, I also wash and dry the quilt. It is ready to be given away or used when my customer receives it back.

I prefer to wash and dry the quilt myself so I can see if there are any problems with the quilting, i.e. stitching coming out, loose threads, and remove any markings I may have done. If I have marked a quilt, and the customer does not launder the quilt correctly those markings may be there for life so I just bypass that possible disaster. I know I can spritz and wipe and the like, but even then all the chemical from the marking may not be gone or deactivated and I prefer to not take chances (mostly because I speak from bad experience)

For my own "piece" of mind I would appreciate answers to my questions so if necessary I can adjust my pricing.
I don't know what the economy is like in your neck of the woods, but that really seems to be selling your efforts short unless you work incredibly fast. What does that work out to be on an hourly basis?
Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt

Well, I myself have never sent one to a longarmer YET. But, you sound awesome! I've done a lot of comparison in prices, and $80 is about the going rate around here. With batting furnished by me. And binding is extra. Also, thats a simple quiliting, anything complex is more.

The $40 price is unheard of, actually! Thats why I was so surprised and posted here about it! I'm wondering if that maybe she gave MIL a discount because she has used her off and on for over 40 years for assorted quilting and other sewing?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:08 AM

It sounds like a 'great old friends price' that is about quilting for the love of it. :)