Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler Quilt >

The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler Quilt

The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler Quilt

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 PM

My name is Laurie Aaron Hird, and I am the author of The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt. I am self-publishing a new book next year that I wanted to tell the group about. Please visit my blog if you are interested in history, children, ponies, vintage photographs and/or quilting. I have two posts, one about the letters and the most recent one is about the quilt. (Please notice the photos on the left. My favorite is Wilford and "Larry.") LOL http://www.thefarmerswifequilt.blogspot.com
Below is a portion of my first blog posting. Thank you so much!

I am so excited about my new Farmer's Wife Quilt book, but before I post letter excerpts, I would like to give you a little background.

In the very early 1900s, a publisher by the name of Edward Webb bought the magazine called The Farmer's Wife. A few years later, he began a contest to increase the magazine's circulation. The plan was to hire children (from about 5-12 years of age) to sell subscriptions door-to-door, and in exchange the Webb Publishing Company would give the children prizes. Among the prizes were diamond rings, rifles, and cameras, but the much sought after grand prize was a Shetland pony. In the course of their long running contest, the Webb Publishing Company gave away hundreds of ponies to grateful boys and girls all across the United States. The Farmer's Wife Pony Club Sampler Quilt will contain a letter and one or two photographs of each Lucky Pony Winner, and complete instructions for making a 90-block queen-size sampler quilt.

The following excerpt is from Joey Edwards and she tells of her dream to own a pony someday. Her quilt block is Summer's Dream.

Last spring out to sunny Kansas from his home away up North in the cold country, came my darling little pony, "Sunny Jim." His eyes were just like little tiny suns and everyone who sees him, their eyes shine too and mamma says he is a regular little ball of sunshine out in Sunny Kansas for a little sunny girl and his name is "Sunny Jim."

When I was a little tiny girl my grandpa said, "Some day I'll buy you a nice little Shetland pony." Once when I was sick and the doctor's medicine was very bitter he said, "Just take it, dearie, and go to sleep and some day when you wake up the Shetland pony will be here." I always dreamed of little Shetlands all black and spotted but they always ran away when I woke up. Now my grandpa is a real nice baldheaded grandpa and when I was a baby they called me a boy's name just because his name was Joe. So I thought if all my life I had to be called a boy's name he ought to buy me a pony. But my auntie said when she was a little girl grandpa told her the very same thing and now she is too big to ride and would never know what good times she had missed. So I just knew my grandpa was having dreams too, when he promised to buy me one. But one day my dream came true and I'm going to tell you how...
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 PM

:lol: would like to get the pattern for this quilt looks interesting
Old 09-18-2010, 06:16 PM

Sounds like a great book! Let us know when you release it please. Thanks! :)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:27 PM

linda55, It is Laurie's new book she is working on.
It will be out next year.

If it is anything like the Farmers Wife quilt, there will be alot of us making it.
For now, if you want, go to Home on the ribbon above and click, go to Blocks of the Month and click, and scroll around and you will find info and pics of the FW as we call it.

Thanks for the info Laurie. We are all getting excited.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 PM

yay!!!!!!!!! quilting and ponies??!!!??!?! YAY!!!!!!!! I NEED this book in my life!!!!!
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM

I'm so excited about the Farmer's Wife quilt! I'm piecing it on my 1889 Singer treadle machine and will hand quilt it. Your new book sounds awesome.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Laurie, I can't wait! I'm one of those now doing your Farmer's Wife Sampler with others on this board. I call the FWSQ "the cat's meow" because I am so excited about it. I've got half the blocks done and hope to have the quilt finished before your new book comes out. (Yeah, right! :lol: )
Old 09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Power Poster

Cant wiat, sounds like a great book!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:23 AM

I would like to have a group for your new book in this forum. I am currently participating in the Farmers Wife Sampler and think the timing of your publication will be just right.
Thank you.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:07 PM

Thank you all for your postings. I just love those little kids, and would enjoy it so much if others could share in their lives, too. How kind of you, Violet, to mention that you would like to start a Pony Club Quilt group. My two books will be almost two years apart, so I didn't think that that was too close. I'm glad that you agree. Thanks again to all.