Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Needing Some Batting Advice! >

Needing Some Batting Advice!

Needing Some Batting Advice!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:05 AM

Recently, there was some polyester batting on sale at Joann's. I had used some medium loft polyester batting before and it came out nicely but this was a different brand on sale. I wasn't really thinking that perhaps not all battings are created equal so I bought some for my next three projects. :? The first project came out nice but after a few washings, it went flat. Now, I'm finishing the second quilt top and not sure what to do. I'd like to do the sandwiching today since I won't have any time in the next few weeks, but I also can't run to the nearest Joann's today...it's over 20 miles away. Should I take the last two of these battings and try to use them together, one on top of the other, to make it thicker or not?
Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

You might find two thicknesses difficult to quilt through. Both machine and hand quilting are easier to do on thinner battings. If I were planning to layer these two battings and machine quilt, I would be tempted to add close-together machine basting lines with water-soluble thread to try to keep the thickness under control.