Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alto's Quilt Cut 2 >

Alto's Quilt Cut 2

Alto's Quilt Cut 2

Old 09-23-2010, 08:28 AM

I bought one at a sewing expo 8-10 years ago. I found a microwave cabinet that has wheels on it that is just the right size and height. I am a happy camper! I love cutting on it. However, I don't carry it to classes so still use a regular cutting mat and rulers. If I had my 'druthers,' I would take it with me but I have so much stuff to take, it would get unwieldy. :( Needless to say, it gives me incentive to cut out things before I go to class whenever possible! :)
Old 09-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Fiskars has a 24inch ruler that has a rotery cutter attached to it and makes cutting easy. I have one and with my nerves damaged it makes cutting easier. I bought mine about 5 years ago and it helps a lot. I use alto to hold fabric and the Fiskars to cut with.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by cgroark
I have one and I dislike it intensely. I either use the GO cutter and rotary cut without the Alto. Mine is back in its box and stays in the closet. I guess I need to sell it; it is virtually brand new.
Would you be interested in selling yours?
Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

Yes, that's how the Alto's works. You arrange your fabric on the mat, line it up on the mat lines, and use your rotary cutter to cut through your fabric on the lines, using the heavy plastic ruler that you move from place to place depending on the size and shape of the pieces you want to cut. One of the best features of the system is that you can cut multiple layers of fabric at once but this does require a fair amount of strength using a rotary cutter. So if you have problems generally with doing rotary cutting, I would think that you wouldn't be happy with the Alto's.

There are probably demonstrations on the internet of the Alto's that you might want to watch to see how it works exactly. It's kind of hard to explain.

(I do also agree that fabric pieces cut on the Alto's can end up not quite exactly the right size due to some slippage , especially when trying to cut multiple layers. I don't know that there's any way to avoid this. I expect the Accuquilt is more exact in terms of producing the precise size pieces repeatedly.)

Danade
Old 09-23-2010, 07:00 PM

I just ordered one today (9/23). He said it will not ship out until next week. The are waiting for a part. It should be at my house by the time we get home....can't wait.... :lol: :lol:
Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by davis2se
Okay - this is gonna drive me nuts!! I've been online looking for this product, and all I get are either web sites selling musical instruments, or websites claiming "We have Alto's QuiltCut 2", and they DON'T!!!! I am the quilting worlds WORST cutter, and will pay anything it takes to get a system that helps me cut more accurately. Does anyone have a website address, or phone number for the company that sells these. I GOTTA see this thing. Thanks!!!
Just PM'd you with phone number....joey
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by loria183
I purchased my Alto Quilt Cut 2, 2 weeks ago at a quilt store in Bend, Oregon. It is great! I love it! Cut the shapes and angles you want, no wasted fabric. :-)

I looked at the 'Go', but the cost of the different cutting disks was a turn off - I'd rather save the money for fabric. Then there was the loss of fabric..... another turn off.

I hope this helps!

Lori
Which quilt store? I live near Bend, Oregon.
Yes...which store? I live in Redmond and would really like to look at one. Thanks!

:D
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 AM
Banned

Those are so neat, thats on my never ending wish list. God bless.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:09 PM

So, you can use the Alto's not only for cutting quilt pieces accurately, but also for longer border pieces??

If so, anyone out there who hates theirs and wants to sell it???
Old 09-24-2010, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Candela59
Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Originally Posted by loria183
I purchased my Alto Quilt Cut 2, 2 weeks ago at a quilt store in Bend, Oregon. It is great! I love it! Cut the shapes and angles you want, no wasted fabric. :-)

I looked at the 'Go', but the cost of the different cutting disks was a turn off - I'd rather save the money for fabric. Then there was the loss of fabric..... another turn off.

I hope this helps!

Lori

Which quilt store? I live near Bend, Oregon.
Yes...which store? I live in Redmond and would really like to look at one. Thanks!

:D

I called Sew Many Quilts in Bend, Oregon today. She said it was easier and more cost effective if I ordered directly from the Atlo's website. So I did, I ordered my Quilt Cut 2 this evening. It seems like a breeze to use. It reminds me of a drafting table and the drafting arm that is attached to it. So it will be easy for me. Since I have prior experience in drafting.