Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Gift "box" >

Gift "box"

Gift "box"

Old 10-24-2010, 07:22 PM

thankyou for sharing. I'm always looking for cute things to teach my grand daughters to sew. It has to be something they also like or they lose enthusiasm.Pot holders and pillows arent real interesting to grade schoolers.This is something they can make for them selves and use.Plus it is so versatile because like you said they can make them any size and obviously any color. Thank you again.This is going to be our next project.
Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I saw this on Oregon Public Broadcasting...VERY simple to make! People wrote me and asked for a tutorial....in one hour I had it made -- INCLUDING taking the pictures!!!

The original video said to use grosgrain ribbon. I only had regular ribbons on hand. I'm going to use fray-check on the ends to keep them from unraveling.

You can make any size box you want....and adjust the sides to what size suits you. I refolded my fat-quarters to make them fit nicely.

ENJOY!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:43 PM

I so appreciate when people take time to make tuts of projects. You did a beautiful job! Thank you so much.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Lovely. I too would like to know when you put the plastic or cardboard in. Between the fabrics?
Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Thanks for sharing and for the great tute. I have scads of ribbon all lined up on clotes hangers just waiting to be used and now to find the right fat quarters to use up, also.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:05 AM

How cute, simple, and useful. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

Stilling watching for instructions from anyone one when and how you put cardboard or plastic canvas in the box?I can't figure out how to do it. Thanks Mary
Old 10-25-2010, 09:03 AM

Wonder how big you could go ?..plastic canvas sure would sturdy it up if you made a large one...hhhmmm this may be the end of my basket search...Thank You
Old 10-25-2010, 03:05 PM

Hi all -- thanks for the compliments. I had to be out of town so, sorry for the delay here!

1) You can make them any size you want. The bigger they are, the "floppier" they become. You can make the sides any height you want, too. These are You boxes -- do as you want.

2) Each box has to have both pieces and the lining (batting) the same size. Someone asked a question that made me think she interpreted my comments to mean I did one piece one size and the other a different size. Nope -- make them the same size.

3) Adding plastic canvas to the bottom.....if you want the bottom to be Really strong, add more layers of plastic canvas. Using plastic makes them washable. I would leave the opening larger than just a few inches and would slip the canvas in before doing the top stitching around the edges.

I haven't looked thru pics yet...hope you're all posting your pics!!!!

Enjoy!!!!

dee

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-06-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 10-25-2010, 03:06 PM

What a great idea, and I like that the size can be altered to serve whatever purpose ... like for hot rolls even!

thank you so much for the tutorial!

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-25-2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks sooo much for the neat tut..........I will be making some of those tomorrow.