Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with King's Crown pattern >

Problem with King's Crown pattern

Problem with King's Crown pattern

Old 11-13-2010, 07:34 PM

I am trying to make a block called King's Crown; here's the URL where I found the pattern:
http://www.quiltmag.com/resources/12...c-stash-block/

I cut the pieces out as specified in the directions but the dark pink triangles are too small for the yellow triangles...I recut with some more fabric, same results...the dark pink triangles are too small.

Could this be a pattern mistake, or am I doing something wrong? :) ANYTHING with triangles confuses me so I usually stick to rectangles and squares....but have to learn sometime! Thanks so much for any help...
Old 11-13-2010, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

Have you double checked the size of the yellow ones?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:39 PM

beautiful block...not sure why the triangles are the wrong size, but why not make a flying geese block for the four sides instead of cutting out triangles then stitching them together. Flying geese is an easy block to make, and there are plenty of tutorials around showing how to make them. That would take care of all the triangles in the block.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Have you double checked the size of the yellow ones?

Yes, I cut the 7 1/4 inch square and then cut it into 4 triangles, as directed. Then cut the 2 7/8 squares and cut each square into a triangle, and they don't match up...did it twice...
Old 11-13-2010, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
beautiful block...not sure why the triangles are the wrong size, but why not make a flying geese block for the four sides instead of cutting out triangles then stitching them together. Flying geese is an easy block to make, and there are plenty of tutorials around showing how to make them. That would take care of all the triangles in the block.

Because that would mean refiguring out all the math. :) I have a center square that is the main feature of this block; it is a photo on fabric from a friend, who asked me to make a block for her with this pattern. I'm not good at figuring out the math with triangles so need precise instructions for the whole block.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 PM

I would do the flying geese instead of the triangles too. I don't like sewing with triangles per se. Also did you need to turn the triangle to make it work? I also go larger on triangles if I have to make them or use them and trim to size.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JPCQuilts
I am trying to make a block called King's Crown; here's the URL where I found the pattern:
http://www.quiltmag.com/resources/12...c-stash-block/

I cut the pieces out as specified in the directions but the dark pink triangles are too small for the yellow triangles...I recut with some more fabric, same results...the dark pink triangles are too small.

Could this be a pattern mistake, or am I doing something wrong? :) ANYTHING with triangles confuses me so I usually stick to rectangles and squares....but have to learn sometime! Thanks so much for any help...
You could try cutting 4 yellow rectangles that are 3 1/2" x 6 1/2" and 8 pink squares that are 3 1/2" x 3 1/2". Draw a diagonal line on all the pink squares. Place a square at one end of the rectangle and sew ON the diagonal line. Iron the square triangular flap out towards the corner. I trim out both of the layers underneath the top triangle, but you could leave the bottom-most layer. Repeat on the other 3 rectangles. Then sew the other 4 squares to the other end of the rectangles and press/trim as before. This is just another way to make flying geese units.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:15 PM

The simple way to piece those flying geese units is to mark the diagonal of the 2 7/8ths squares. Lay one right sides together at one corner of the yellow print square and stitch a quarter inch from the drawn line. When you get close to the end of the top square lay another one in line and continue stitching. When you have that side stitched turn the square around and stitch the other side a quarter of an inch from the drawn line. The cut on the drawn line and iron the pink triangle open. Turn the unit and lay a pink square on the yellow triangle in the corner and sew on each side of the drawn line. Cut on the drawn line and iron open.
Old 11-13-2010, 08:34 PM

Are you sure you're matching up the right sides together?
Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM

I think you are not putting the parts together right. This pattern is making the flying geese block on the sides. Here is a pic how to put them together. I hope it helps.

Personally I like the way Eleanor Burns does flying geese. Here is a pattern with the instructions on how to do it her way. Of course it is easier to do them using her ruler. http://www.quiltinaday.com/freepatte...Crossroads.pdf

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-125980.jpe