Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Deema,
Your quilt looks fine to me! I also like my quilts to look a bit puckery after washing and drying.
I feel your pain, but you'll get over it. I'm sure its still nice
and comfy to wrap up in.
This happened to a wedding quilt that I made for my newphew and his bride. They didn't know the difference.
I, too was shocked at how much it shrank. :cry:
I had used a new batting that I hadn't pre-soaked and dried before I used it in the quilt.
I know better now. :-D
Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM

To all that suggested ironing that quilt. If you put an iron to it, it will destroy the flufflyness that washing gave it. If you believe you want it pressed, use a clothing steamer. The wrinkles come out but the puffiness stays, making the quilt even more beautiful, but, to each his own.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM

It doesn't look bad to me either. What if you washed it again and just half dried it then lay it out flat to finish drying.

It's a beautiful quilt and I don't think it looks as bad as you think.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:15 PM

Give it a rinse with fabric softner, and spin the water out of it then gently pin it out and block it like a sweater. I have done smaller pieces this way and it works. Take it to your church or school where there are work tables and get a friend to help you so you can square it up across the diagonals etc. If you have clotheslines you can pin it upto dry. Oh I forgot, if you happen to have old curtain stretchers that would work too. Also I have used the folding cutting boards that are made from cardboard, but I would put a sheet or something under it. You might need two of them. Good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM

Try to Iron it use steam
Old 11-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
just saw the picture, that's not that bad, try ironing it.
Ironing it would be my suggestion too. I don't think it looks bad at all in the pictures. I like that "puckered" look I get after washing my quilts, but if it really bothers you, try ironing before you do anything else. By the Way - Beautiful quilt!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Banned

I'm so sorry that this caused you distress, but in looking at your pictures, the washed quilt has that cuddly, lovey look. It appears as if the quilt shrank but the binding didn't. My favorite quilt shop owner says that a quilt is not done until it's washed -- and she washes all her quilts before hanging them in her store!

At a glance, I think the quilt is lovely. If it were me, I might try blocking it - gently rinse and spin-dry, then lay it out on a sheet on the carpet; pinning if necessary to get it square and allow it to dry. If after that it was still bothering me, I may just remove the binding and reapply it. But that's my obsessive/compulsiveness talking... :oops:
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM
DBW

I definatly would not appoligize while giving it to her. That will leave the feeling it is inferior. It is not. Give it with all the love you put into it, and be proud. What a wonderful gift! Sure wish my DIL would give me something that took a little thought. And this gift you are giving has time aand love in it! Unless she's a rich snob who will only see, "What a blanket"; she will love it!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:33 PM

If I were your MIL I would absolutely love it! First, it doesn't look that bad in the pix. Second, I would love the fact that you loved me enough to want to make something for me. I love it!
I say, give it to her like it is.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:41 PM

You are more critical of your quilt because you know how it should be. I would iron it and give it to her anyway. She won't know the difference and will know it's a gift of love.