Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:33 PM

I like it...the texture makes it look snuggly to me. When it is cool and crisp outside those fall colors will just be a magnet...give me a little handwork and a steaming hot cup of herbal tea and a quilt like that to curl up in and work...HEAVEN! Before you give up does anyone else share my sentiment? Besides, maybe a cleaner (who is trustworthy) can block it...bringing it back into shape. At least someone might be able to advise here whether this is a possibility. Personally, IF my DDL were so kind as to me such a lovely quilt I would treasure it till the end of my days. It is your heart you are giving her, no less. She knows this sugarbee...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by cimarron
I like it...the texture makes it look snuggly to me. When it is cool and crisp outside those fall colors will just be a magnet...give me a little handwork and a steaming hot cup of herbal tea and a quilt like that to curl up in and work...HEAVEN! Before you give up does anyone else share my sentiment? Besides, maybe a cleaner (who is trustworthy) can block it...bringing it back into shape. At least someone might be able to advise here whether this is a possibility. Personally, IF my DDL were so kind as to me such a lovely quilt I would treasure it till the end of my days. It is your heart you are giving her, no less. She knows this sugarbee...
I completely agree. It looks cuddly and soft and well loved. It probably will not shrink or pucker any further so this is what it is. I think it's a great look. Unless it was supposed to be a perfectly flat, tight wall hanging, you'd never know there was something wrong. The colors are beautiful. I'm sure she'd love it.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:39 PM

Put water into a spritz bottle and dampen the quilt. Use T-pins and pin the edges of the quilt onto a clean sheet. Pin the sheet onto clean carpet, then spread out your quilt onto the top of the sheet. Push the T-pins through your quilt, the sheet and into the carpet. Gently, gently stretch your quilt back into shape. The moisture in the fabric will allow the fibers in the quilt to give; then when it dried, it should stay in the deminsions that you'd pinned it. Don't forget to measure as you pin. You do want the measurements to be the same for both ends of our quilt for the length. Measure the width also to make sure it is the same throughout your quilt. This has worked for several in my guild. Let us all know how it comes out.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM

She won't know unless you tell her; I can see a difference but I personally prefer the "crunched up" kind of quilts; there are sufficient colors in the quilt to camo a bit of the shrinkage; Like many have suggested, I would wash it again on a gentle cycle and stretch out to dry - plastic bags on the dining room table would get you a good flat surface; then iron it before it is totally dry - maybe that will help reshape it some.

Sorry this happened - I would be distraught; I have a similar dilema with a quilt I made for friends, I used all cotton top and backing but the batting is a recycled mattress pad - guess I'm going to have to include care instructions.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

I just took a class about blocking a quilt. Get a clean spray bottle and spray the quilt till its really wet with water (soaked not dripping). Using your before washing measurements. Start at a corner and laying it on the carpet begin to stretch and "block" it. You can use a carpenter's square or a laser square to help you get it back to the size wanted. Use the "T" pins 2-3 inches apart and go corner to corner. Be patient in doing this. Once the corners and outside edges are straight and square you can even move in and make sure the seams, etc inside are straight and true using the "T" pins. Then let it dry and set for 2-3 days. This will allow the fabric to remember. This teacher told us that most "award" winning quilts are always blocked to perfection. Give it a try. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more instructions and I'll get up off the couch and get the class notes and send you more details
Old 11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Dee

What if you pressed it. Maybe it would get into shape. Just a thought.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM

Try ironing it with steam.... :?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:25 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

I think it is beautiful in all pictures. I know when I wrap up in the hug of a handmade quilt, I could not care less if it has puckers, or wrinkles. It's the feeling that I get - warm, safe, comforted, and knowing someone special went to a lot of trouble to make it for me. I have a feeling that your quilt doesn't have to be perfect to be loved. Give yourself some grace. You did something wonderful. I'm thinking it will be fine and appreciated. Big Hugs.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Well said! I agree.

Originally Posted by cimarron
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM

I agree. It doesn't look all that bad. But I love that shrunken look in my quilts. But I think too that you should try to steam iron it. I block my quilts all the time.