Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I could cry right now. >

I could cry right now.

I could cry right now.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM

I would rewash it and then block it. That is while still wet lay it out so that it is square, and T-pin it and let it dry thoroughly. I have used this method before and it works. I would not iron it it has poly in it!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM

Before you go over the edge, try a few things, first I would try to steam press it, start with a small area and see whet happens, if not helping, try running it through your washer and then drying it by draping it over some chairs in area, that is shaded, I put plastic bags over the backs of several chairs and hung my quilt between and over them, it helped, from what I can see it doesn't look nearly as bad as you think, by the way, why did you wash it before gifting it to her anyway, I never wash them first
Old 11-15-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Riverton Quilter
I just took a class about blocking a quilt. Get a clean spray bottle and spray the quilt till its really wet with water (soaked not dripping). Using your before washing measurements. Start at a corner and laying it on the carpet begin to stretch and "block" it. You can use a carpenter's square or a laser square to help you get it back to the size wanted. Use the "T" pins 2-3 inches apart and go corner to corner. Be patient in doing this. Once the corners and outside edges are straight and square you can even move in and make sure the seams, etc inside are straight and true using the "T" pins. Then let it dry and set for 2-3 days. This will allow the fabric to remember. This teacher told us that most "award" winning quilts are always blocked to perfection. Give it a try. Hope this helps, let me know if you need more instructions and I'll get up off the couch and get the class notes and send you more details
Riverton Quilter - I found your post to be very enlightening. Thanks for the instructions!

Deema - Your quilt is beautiful! I love the brown and green. I just read all 16 pages of posts and the biggest concensus seems to be: Iron! Iron! Iron, followed by the wetting and blocking idea.

Whatever you decide to do to improve the quilt will just be a bonus for your DMIL. She is going to love it because YOU made it for HER. God Bless You!

:thumbup:
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by scrapykate
just saw the picture, that's not that bad, try ironing it.
It that batting has poly in it DO NOT IRON. I did this once, it melts the batting and makes it hard and stiff. Your quilt is not that bad. It gives it character. Just use your hands and try smoothing it out some. Most quilts will not stay as perfect and flat after washing. Just remember we are not perfect so why expect everything else to be perfect. I think it looks great. Just remember in the future to use the gentle wash cycle and dry on low. Your MIL will love it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 AM

It's beautiful!!

I agree with the gentle wash and then stretch it out to dry. That should work fine. I'm sure your DMIL will be thrilled with it. :-)
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 AM

I would try ironing it, possibly taking it to a local dry cleaner and
having them press it with their big pressers.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:56 AM

Looks fine to me, try re-washing on a very gentle, cool wash and drip drying.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Looks fine to me, try re-washing on a very gentle, cool wash and drip drying. Give her the quilt explaining what happened and give her something else as well. She will know you spent a lot of time on her.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM

Just saw the pictures. Don't cry. Spray with water and steam iron better yet if you have one of those steam machines hang it up and steam it.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:18 PM

Oh Deema - I think you are being way too critical. In the after pictures I can see where something shrunk, but it looks mostly like the binding that was effected. I would spray the quilt, both sides, with plain water. Then I would work on trying to gently ease out what you feel are the worst areas, and then I would iron the whole thing. I feel that ironing quilts/sewing projects is kind of like spackle when repairing/painting walls. It covers a lot of mistakes.

And I am sure that your Dear MIL will be thrilled with the quilt, and with the love and thought and work that went into it. Do not let your worries ruin your early Christmas celebration.