Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do - blocks different sizes?? >

What would you do - blocks different sizes??

What would you do - blocks different sizes??

Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 AM

I have been the lucky recipient of lots of Christmas 9 patch blocks, however when I started to check the sizes they are all different & the finished table topper will look so odd (surely??)
I have a plain piece of red I was going to use in the middle then 5 blocks each side (total of 12 blocks).
Initially I thought it wouldnt matter too much but as I am fitting in the centre strip realise that yes it does. I thinnk I've answered my own question here, but would you guys unpick all of the blocks & restitch them.
The finished blocks are meant to be 6" (so when I got them they were meant to be 6 1/2") but some were nearly 7" & others unfortunatly were barely 6" - before I've sewn them, so with these ones I have no leeway.
I def don't want to file these away as UFO's as we have another meet soon & thought I could show off my gifts but ....
TIA
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Is there any way to resew the ones that are barely 6"? Is there enough fabric, or was the fabric just cut too short? Depending on the pattern, I might try to cut the 7" blocks down and try to rescue the smaller ones.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:14 AM

I thought there might be a reply along these lines - I will be doing a bit of un-sewing for the next few days. :)
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Power Poster

Sharon Schamber has a video on Youtube for shrinking/enlarging blocks using spray starch.
It may be easier than unsewing and resewing these blocks :D:D:D
Old 11-14-2010, 01:02 PM

rather than taking them apart, why not just add strips to the small ones to bring them up to the size of the large ones. I had the same problem in a project and I did this and it turned out great with the extra strips adding some motion to the quilt. I also made some extra large then trimmed them back to size in a wonky way to add more motion. Depends on the look you want in the end.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:19 PM

If you frame each one with perhaps 1 1/2 " strips and then square them all to the same size. The frames will be slightly different sizes-widths- but by such a small amount you should hardly notice it. I've done this and it does "trick" the eye. Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
If you frame each one with perhaps 1 1/2 " strips and then square them all to the same size. The frames will be slightly different sizes-widths- but by such a small amount you should hardly notice it. I've done this and it does "trick" the eye. Hope this helps.
I have some blocks like this too. I love the sashing idea. Its what I was planning on doing. Glad someone else has and liked it. :) thanks!
Old 11-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

i would frame each block with a coordinating fabric then cut them all to the same size
Old 11-15-2010, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Add a sashing or add a border around each block and retrim. Yoy could also set them on point with extra fabric and then trim them down to all the same size. The border fabric would not all need to be the same color adding to the interest.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by greensleeves
I've done this on a few occasions. If possible, make your frames a dark color to help with 'tricking the eye'.
Best of luck!