Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing machine is history! >

My sewing machine is history!

My sewing machine is history!

Old 11-25-2010, 09:29 AM

It's not necessarily the machine. It's accurate cutting and pressing and patience, I found out is more important than the machine you use. I actually bought a singer form Tuesday Morning for 200 dollars. I like it more than any other machine I ever had. It's simple and accurate, great for piecing. And there are always places to take it for service, JUst my opinion. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I do not know about the singer machine but I hear you. My mother ship, a janome 6500, is in the shop. Fortunately I have many vintage options for piecing. One of my favorites is the singer 301 vintage machine. It is just a straight stitch. Hope you can find a good solution soon. You think it might be worth it to have your vintage machine looked at? It might be cheaper then buying a new machine. If you know some one who is handy they might be able to do it. DH does all the vintage mechanical machines himself.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
I do not recommend singer or brother. Have both broken and in the attic. My first choice would be an older Pfaff that is made of all metal or an older model Janome.

TO THE GALS THAT ARE RECOMMENDING: What models of Janome Jem Platinum do you have? I looked online and there are several numbers that go after the name.
We have the Janome Gem Silver, for runner of the platinum, and it is a wonderful little work horse. Six of us bought one each about 6 years ago and for all but me it is their only machine. None of us have ever gotten them serviced either and they are all going strong. My kids use mine around the clock. It came with a sewing table and quilting attachments and a case.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay here I am with my two cents worth.......keep the vintage machine and use the one you have. What kind of machine is it and what is it doing? If you want PM me and I will give you my number and I can walk you through how to fix what ever may be messing up.

Honestly though if you want to buy a machine and you want one that can do everything you should look at my 500A I have for sale for $100. I will put that machine up against any new machine on the market today (I am talking about the $3000+ machines) and if you know how to use it it will hang with it and will out last the new one any time! It is mint and I will give you the link to the Black Friday Sale I have going on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78518-1.htm

But I bet I can talk you through the repair of yours and it will be good as new and wont cost you a dime!

Billy

Yes, look at the Singer 500A. Great machine!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I was sewing yesterday and I didn't see a pin under the fabric and yesssssssss....it bent the rocker arm! I am so upset and I only have my antique singer to work with and that has been off and on screwing up the stitches.....I still have things to make for gifts.... my hubby before he left for work told me to go shopping for a new sewing machine and that is going to be my gift under the christmas tree! I am thinking of getting one of those new singer sewing machines that Joanne's has and wondering if any one has used one and what you think of them.
That's too bad that your machine broke. -- What a perfect time to buy a new one. I don't know if Singer is a good machine. I've always Goggled reviews when shopping for a new sewing machine. I'm sure you'll have lots of responses to your question. Have fun shopping!

I bought a Singer quilting machine at JoAnn's over the summer and love it! I think I should have bought a basic machine because all the stuff that came with the new one I already had, except for that handy little snap-on table which I really love! Good luck, happy hunting, and enjoy the new baby girl!

I have a Brother and I love it. I bought it on line several years ago. I did worry about service and repairs due to the fact that it has to be repaired by a "Brother" dealership or the warranty is not valid. The closest dealer is an hour and a half away. That machine has sewn lots, and I've never had to take it in for a thing! I do think it's a good idea to make a list of the things you want, just like others have said. I think needle up/down is a must! If you're doing mostly quilting, the height/depth of the head/sewing bed is important. There are so many things to think of and look for, don't rush this decision. Have fun looking and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I was sewing yesterday and I didn't see a pin under the fabric and yesssssssss....it bent the rocker arm! I am so upset and I only have my antique singer to work with and that has been off and on screwing up the stitches.....I still have things to make for gifts.... my hubby before he left for work told me to go shopping for a new sewing machine and that is going to be my gift under the christmas tree! I am thinking of getting one of those new singer sewing machines that Joanne's has and wondering if any one has used one and what you think of them.
I am probably too late for you to read this but the old adage that "you get what you pay for", is a good thing to remember. Right now the sewing machine dealerships have some good deals going, I should know, because I bought mine last year. And by the way, use your sick machine as a trade in. They will repair it for cheap for them, and sell it again. I traded in a Pfaff with the reader board burned out. They gave me a $500 trade in and the machine was on sale for $500 off so I got $1000 off on a new machine. So go in and bargain with them. after I looked I told them that I had a sick machine and wasn't sure what was wrong. I had been told it was the mother board, but didn't agree with that. it would have been $500 to repair, but it was only going to cost $350 to replace the reader board. Decided not to do it incase the next thing to go out would be the mother board. Anyway I got the Expressions 4.0 for $1900 and they thru in the acrylic surround table which was a $150. And an extended warranty and free classes. So I think it was a good deal. Even if you can't afford that much, do go to the dealers just because of the service available. Costco, Walmart and Joann's don't give you anything but a cheap machine.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
Originally Posted by Holice
be sure you have access to service when you get a new one.
you might do better getting a good used one from a reputable dealer.
I second that idea. If you have a local sewing machine dealer, then I'd check there first. I know our local one takes trade-ins when people are upgrading to a better machine, so they routinely have a stock of good used machines. And they service each one before they resell it in their "used" lot.
That's true around here, as well. I bought mine at an amazingly reduced price!
Old 11-25-2010, 01:05 PM

Singers are going for dirt cheap - reason? They no longer make parts for them! Our LQS services them, but warns customers that there aren't any more parts available, so if it breaks, it's a goner. You'd be better of with a brand name, newish, used machine. Most LQSs will give you a 1 year warranty on a used machine. If nothing goes wrong in a year, it's probably not going to have any problems. Please rethink your Singer purchase!