Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Baby spitting up/projectile vomit.  what to do???  help please. >

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Baby spitting up/projectile vomit. what to do??? help please.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Okay, Nathan came home from the NICU on the 15th of October, he's been home for about 6 weeks and he's been spitting up and projectile vomiting from almost every bottle. The pediatrician says to switch formula (we're on formula number 5 now), they finally gave him Zantac for acid reflux, but still no changes. He's fussy, but not crying all the time, he grunts, so I know his tummy has to hurt. I dont' know what to do for him. I called the pediatrician back on friday and he said to give this new formula (similac alimentum) another week, we have another appointment scheduled for Friday. They keep telling me he may just have to grow out of it. Can that be right? He's not really gaining weight like he should be even. I'm scared and exhausted. I just want my baby to be well and happy.

any ideas? suggestions? anything???

thanks!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 AM

mine had to drink goat milk and they gave her paragoric to relax the muscle spasms in her stomach, after about 2 mos. she outgrew it. good luck
Old 11-29-2010, 07:58 AM

Others near you that can help with your exhaustion (sitting with babe while you catch a wink or two?) Relax, and don't hesitate to keep contacting Dr.'s office until you get a good answer. Breast milk maybe?
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM

My oldest son (now 36) used to projectile vomit. It was really scary, especially because the move 'The Exorcist' had just come out.

He didn't have this happen after nearly every bottle, however. I'm so glad you are taking him back to the doctor.

Have you tried just letting him have an ounce or two at a time but very frequent feedings- so there won't be so much to come back up? Remember that this is NOT medical advice, just a grandmother's thoughts. I know that you will get this worked out, and someday you will be writing about this memory on a message board, too.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM

My oldest child, now 46 years old, had the same problem. It is a difficult problem, but the baby will out grow it. Just try to relax, and if possible, have some one else come in for a few hours a day so you can get some rest.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:00 AM
bj

They told my dil not to lay gs down flat to feed. To have him in a reclining, mostly sitting, position, be sure you burp him good. With the baby mylanta he did do a little better, but he did just kindof have to grow out of it. They thought he might have a hyatal (sp) hernia, but he didn't.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:04 AM
Power Poster

Ohhh - you poor things.

(((hugs))) - hope you get the answer(s) you need.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM

My oldest son (now 23) projectile vomited every bottle, too. It was awful. I was a teenaged idiot mother and it scared the stuffing out of me. He had test after test. He tried every formula there was and nothing really changed. Finally, one of the doctors suggested putting him on 2% milk instead of formula. It worked. As it turned out, baby formula is designed to have a lot of fat in it because babies need fat. My son didn't process the fats well. We switched to milk and started feeding him foods so he'd get all the nutrition he needed and the problem was solved. The carpet was never the same, though.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:05 AM

Could I please ask why he was in NICU please?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My oldest son (now 23) projectile vomited every bottle, too. It was awful. I was a teenaged idiot mother and it scared the stuffing out of me. He had test after test. He tried every formula there was and nothing really changed. Finally, one of the doctors suggested putting him on 2% milk instead of formula. It worked. As it turned out, baby formula is designed to have a lot of fat in it because babies need fat. My son didn't process the fats well. We switched to milk and started feeding him foods so he'd get all the nutrition he needed and the problem was solved. The carpet was never the same, though.
Never heard that suggestion before. I did hear to try probiotics, but haven't asked the doc about it yet. I have heard not to replace my carpet till he's 2, tee hee