Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
frustraited! >

frustraited!

frustraited!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Help... I am getting further behind making gifts for christmas! 1st I got a bad cold 2nd I tore some tendons and ligaments in my foot 3rd my dh has to have surgry. I feel like a sinking ship! Any ideas for some quicker items to make? I have to sew for 9 count them 9 grands 4 girls & 5 boys all under 11 yrs. I am brain fogged! Any words of wisdom for the weary....Guess I needed to unload thanks for being here! Jan
Old 12-02-2010, 07:11 AM

I am a grandmother of 11. There comes a time in one's life that you have to cry uncle. This is that time for you. Grandchildren LOVE having gift cards. Even my littles one at 3 was thrilled to have a "credit card". The older ones get what they want rather than things from gramma. Go ahead with gift cards -- even if it's only mere dollars. Explain that you're overwhelmed right now. Trust me, it'll be freeing for you!
I pray things will get better for you!!!! That's a lot to try to handle right now!

{{{HUGE}}}

d
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Here's an easy pillow case pattern. I made two of these in about 45 minutes.

http://www.conkerrcancer.org/pdf/hotdogmethod.pdf
Old 12-02-2010, 07:13 AM

How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-137042.jpe  
Old 12-02-2010, 07:15 AM

I agree. Don't sew. Shop! Gift cards are great. Kids and teens love CASH!!! Could get an inexpensive wallet, coin purse and put the money/gc inside. Get gift bags at dollar store..done! Focus on you and hubby. That's more important right now. No guilt now. You can sew for tkids during the year for your "therapy."
Old 12-02-2010, 07:16 AM
DJ

I think the pillow cases are a wonderful idea. Use them for wrapping around a book. Nice gift!

Take it easy on yourself. You don't want to get sick again when you have DH to take care of, too.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Oh Jan, It really is sounding like you may have bitten off more then you can chew considering the recent illness and other crisis that have suddenly hit you. Maybe you can sew for some and buy for some this year then sew for the others next year? To have all these projects and circumstances hanging over your head with a rapidly approaching deadline is not good for you. Adds to your stress levels and may make you prone to make dangerous mistakes (like sewing through a finger or cutting yourself with rotary cutter!)

Do yourself a favor and take some of the stress off of yourself. If buying isn't an option, maybe some homemade treats might be in order for some of the grands. Or maybe some sweatshirts with a simple fusible applique design. You could whip those out fairly quickly but does involve purchasing the premade sweatshirts. Good luck sweety. And quit trying to push yourself so hard. When it is feeling this overwhelming chances are you have too much on your plate, and not of your own choosing with all the other unforseeable things that are happening in your life right now.
Old 12-02-2010, 07:18 AM

You could also give them a 'coupon' to be redeemed when things slow down a little. Make it for whatever you were going to make in the first place.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Julie in NM
I agree. Don't sew. Shop! Gift cards are great. Kids and teens love CASH!!! Could get an inexpensive wallet, coin purse and put the money/gc inside. Get gift bags at dollar store..done! Focus on you and hubby. That's more important right now. No guilt now. You can sew for tkids during the year for your "therapy."
This is what I would tell you!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
How about little wallets with a couple dollars tucked in them. There are a lot of simple patterns if you do a google search. The little kids think they are in heaven to have a grown up wallet with money in it. I made my grandaughter a simple little purse no pattern and filled it with things from the dollar tree. Pretend cell phone, little makeup mirror, lip gloss.
I agree, Donna, little purses/wallets with gift cards are a great idea for the girls! For my grandsons, I made small totebags for them to put their smaller toys in when they wanted to take them someplace.