Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wooden Spools >

Wooden Spools

Wooden Spools

Old 12-07-2010, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
My dad made a small table out of the spools when he and my mom were first married. He glued or placed them on a small dowl or both for legs, then put the top and another shelf in there. He then stained it dark. We had that around for many years! I have to wonder what happened to it. I've not seen it (mom passed 4 years ago). Hmmmm....will have to ask the sisters.
Back in the depression, they used what they had and made do. I'm thinking this is the reason for the table. It was a wonderful table and now a wonderful memory. Thank you!
Put your thinking caps on and make something useable from these wooden spools. I remember also, having these in the toy box to stack and roll. Wow! That was lots of decades ago!! LOL! Wonder why I can remember these things and not what the movie was I watched last night!!??
Old 12-07-2010, 05:56 AM

My dad made a small table out of the spools when he and my mom were first married. He glued or placed them on a small dowl or both for legs, then put the top and another shelf in there. He then stained it dark. We had that around for many years! I have to wonder what happened to it. I've not seen it (mom passed 4 years ago). Hmmmm....will have to ask the sisters.
Back in the depression, they used what they had and made do. I'm thinking this is the reason for the table. It was a wonderful table and now a wonderful memory. Thank you!
Put your thinking caps on and make something useable from these wooden spools. I remember also, having these in the toy box to stack and roll. Wow! That was lots of decades ago!! LOL! Wonder why I can remember these things and not what the movie was I watched last night!!??
I have a memory of a doll made with spools. Now that I think about it, it resembled the dolls or clowns made with yo-yos. Kinda looked like a stick figure. I remember it being strung on narrow elastic or shoestrings. Wow! That surely was a long time ago. I picture it in a place I lived before I was 9 years old. (We moved to a new house when I was nine and this was before that.) I too cannot remember a lot of things from yesterday.

:lol:
Old 12-07-2010, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by sak658
I was wondering if anyone has wooden spools that they want to get rid of. I collect them and have been looking for some. I just love them. Thanks so much ... Thought I would ask. Happy Holidays to all.
I have some wooden spools now and will have more in the future. Please PM me. if you are still interested.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Well, they might not be worth anything money wise but they sure make me happy to look at them and to collect them. I love things I had or was around when I was growing up, that you don't see anymore. And my kids have never seen, like the wooden ice cream makers, that we would put a toe sack on and sit on it while someone cranked it. I have 2 of those, and they are worth some money. So it's whatever floats your boat, as the old saying goes. LOL
Old 12-08-2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GailG
I have a memory of a doll made with spools. Now that I think about it, it resembled the dolls or clowns made with yo-yos. Kinda looked like a stick figure. I remember it being strung on narrow elastic or shoestrings. Wow! That surely was a long time ago. I picture it in a place I lived before I was 9 years old. (We moved to a new house when I was nine and this was before that.) I too cannot remember a lot of things from yesterday.

:lol:
My mother made spool dolls for the grandchildren. She also strung them together so that they looked like the wheels of a train and gave this to my son as a pull toy. She made a lot of stuffed animals. One was a pig with a covered tin can for his body.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:28 AM

I do! Some still have thread on them. PM me please, I have been cleaning out some stuff 7 hard to just throw away.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Helen Bankert
I made a large spool shelf. I used threaded metal rods. Put the spools over the rods. Then a 1 inch plank which had 4 holes drilled in it, all at equal distance from the edge. I had four shelves. It was over 5 foot high. I used it for plants. The spools have to be the same size on each rod, at the same level to keep it balanced. Different sizes can be used. To keep it all tight, it has a nut screwed to the top and bottom The top and bottom spool was drilled with a larger hole to cover the nuts.
This is exactly how the one my dad did was made. Not as big, tho. Only two shelves...more like a magazine rack. I loved it at a kid. We'd have to dust each spool every Saturday! Wonderful memories! I will bet one of the sisters still has it!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Will the nice person that PM'd me prior to the holidays and wanted spools please contact me again? I actually have a little free time now...(ha!)and can get some of these in the mail.

Thanks!
Holley