Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Any suggestions for treatment for compression fractures? >

Any suggestions for treatment for compression fractures?

Any suggestions for treatment for compression fractures?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:32 PM

Well, got some bad news today. My mom's back has been hurting pretty badly for the last week or so. Today she had a previously scheduled Dex scan and they discovered she has a compression fracture in her vertebra. This is not good news. My Grandmother died from osteoporosis when she was 78. My mom is 75. She had been on Boniva for several years. Obviously that didn't do any good. She will be seeing her dr in a week or so to find out more. The technician wouldn't tell her what to do. I assume heat, pain meds and rest.

This comes at a time when my dad is very ill and can't do anything for himself. I live 5 hours away and can't get away right now to go help her. My brother is there but he is always too busy to help her. I'm hoping that dad's hospice nurse can help her out with this when she comes tomorrow. Surely there are people that can help her deal with him more.

I'm so worried about her. A big reminder to us all to take our calcium and Vitamin D and exercise. And I'm staying on my estrogen. I'm at a great risk for this and already have osteopenia and I'm 54 :(

Hopefully someone out there can tell me what she can do in the time before the dr will see her to ease her suffering.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

I will keep your family in my prayers.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

Can you call and talk to her GP? I would think that he/she should be able to give you the best advice :wink: :D:D:D
Old 12-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Amma. I read that those osteoporosis meds only work for awhile and then stop :(
Old 12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Power Poster

So sorry about your mother!

I read that a long-term study of Boniva and similar meds for osteoporosis showed that they did not actually result in fewer fractures later on. It is thought that they may contribute to calcium forming around the bones so that the bone looks more solid on x-rays, but the interior of the bone remains porous and brittle. I have osteopenia and don't like to take meds, so I did some research on line before telling my doctor I would opt out of taking that medication.

Calcium citrate is the form of calcium that is most easily absorbed by the body. I take mine twice a day rather than all at once, because it can be absorbed better that way. I also take Vitamin D and magnesium to help with absorption.

My sister had a compression fracture of her spine (large dog bounding past her sent her unexpectedly to the ground). Mostly it just took time to heal -- in her case, about a year. She was 71 at the time.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:07 PM

I agree with calling her dr to see what you can do until she can see the doctor. In the meantime, she should also continue to get calcium and vit D in food as well as supplements.

"For the patient who has sustained a fracture, adequate intake of protein, vitamin C, and iron is important to promote bone healing. People who are lactose intolerant can choose a variety of soy and rice products that are foritified with calcium and vitamin D. In addition, calcium and vitamin D are added to many fruit juices, bread, and ceral products. A variety of nutrients are needed to maintain bone health. The promotion of a single nurient will not prevent or treat osteoporosis. A nutritional plan that emphasizes fruits, vegetables, low-fat dairy and protein sources, increased fiber, and moderation in alcohol and caffeine intake is most beneficial to maintaining bone health." from my Med-Surg 1 textbook (2010)

As far as whether it would be better to apply heat or ice packs ... I'm not sure which is better.

I hope things go better for your family.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 PM

I am 68 now and was diagnosed with osteopenia about 5 yrs. ago. I to have had a compression fracture and I was in a lot of pain for a long time. It has since healed (about l l/2 yrs) and I still have trouble walking for any period of time. I went to a spine dr. and he put me on celebrex, 2 capsules a day, and it was a godsend. I'm still on it and have not suffered any side effects. If I don't take it, in about two days, I can hardly move. Of course, RA and Oseto.A doesn't help either. If I get really bad, I take Ultram (tramadol) to get thru it. Otherwise it is just the Celebrex. I also take calcium with vit. D every day, twice a day. The osteopenia hasn't gotten any worse, thank goodness.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:03 AM

try doing some reach on your own, Good place to start is google, Web MD and places like that, I do all my reach first when I need info and then I talk to my doctors about what I found out and get their opinion, sometimes you can find the latest and newest thats available out there! Good luck, I know its very painful.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:36 AM

Sorry to hear of all the troubles you're having to help with.

I have no information on the medical issue - but -
Try talking to the doctor's office to see what type of HOME HEALTH care she can get qualified for. How about Meals on Wheels for them. Local churches?

Is all their paperwork in order? Does someone have Power of Attorney for medical and financial? (Contact an Elder Attorney and get it in order. You don't have to use it until necessary). Is anyone's name on all their accounts (from banking to utilities to medical facilities)? There are lots of businesses that won't talk to you because 'you're not authorized'. :(

Best of luck to all in these difficult situations. Your family is not alone in trying to figure this out. There are millions dealing with similar issues.