Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Recommend your favorite quilting/sewing/craft/decorating book! >

Recommend your favorite quilting/sewing/craft/decorating book!

Recommend your favorite quilting/sewing/craft/decorating book!

Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM

Every year for Chistmas I love toget a new book. That way when all the commotion is over, Ican settle down with something new to inspire me! I enjoy crafts and make things to sell, I love decorating books (anything from primiive to country to eclectic... love flea market style too!), and I plan to get back into quilting... and really like the scrappy and strip quilts (quick and easy... I hope!!)

Can anyone recommend their favorite books?
That will give me an idea of what to put on my list!

Thanks!

Torrie
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM

I will be watching this thread to see what everyone recommends. As for my favorite, well, it depends upon whatever type of quilt I want to make at the time and what is in my hands at the moment - LOL
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 AM

I LOVE the book called Strip Happy - I made the cover quilt in very similar colors and it came out beautifully. All very easy and I think all of them use only jelly rolls. Or maybe jelly rolls with a little bit of yardage.

Pam and Nicky Lintott's Jelly Roll Quilts is wonderful, too - the patterns are a little more complicated than those in Strip Happy, but the results are spectacular.

I just got a book called Vintage Notions by Amy Barickman - that's a charming book just to sit and read, although it isn't an instruction book.

Egg Money Quilts by Eleanor Burns is another of my favorites - although I haven't yet made a single one of any of those blocks.

Quilting For Show comes with a video DVD and the hints and tips are worth their weight in blue ribbons - even though I have no intention of ever entering a quilt in a show.

Machine Quilting Solutions by Christine Marracini is my favorite book about machine quilting, although I also like Diane Gaudynski's Guide to Machine Quilting.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:06 PM

Thank you Elizabeth! Strip Happy sounds like it might be just what I am looking for! I bet I would love Vintage Notions too! I'll check out all of your suggestions! I appreciate it!
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM

Strip Happy has some really neat looking quilts in it - the quilts look like they're more complicated than they are and I'll bet you'll like this book.

I'm afraid I'm a bit insane about books. Any time I start a new obsession, I collect a library full of books and magazines on the topic. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how many cross stitch books and magazines I've got - and I haven't done a scrap of cross stitch in almost 20 years. :oops:
Old 12-12-2010, 02:18 PM

Three of my favorites are Quilting With Bits & Pieces by House of White Birches, Big Book of Scrap Quilts by Oxmoor House and Lots of Scraps It's time to Quilt by House of White Birches. They are full of scrappy quilts.