Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Plastic templates? >

Plastic templates?

Plastic templates?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM

I buy sheets of Poster board, three for $1.00 at the dollar store. I store it under my bed mattress.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:00 AM

It sounds like you have a lot of good advise. But if its easier to find freezer paper, trace your pattern onto the non waxy side of the freezer paper, cut it out carefully and iron it onto your fabric (waxy side down), cut your fabric. Sometimes this is cheaper and easier , especially if you are not needing to use the piece more than 20 times. Also I make make multiple copies to speed up the process and they don't slip!
Old 04-03-2007, 08:59 AM

All of these are wonderful methods.. I have purchased the template plastic from the craft store and used ti to make a master copy....it doesn't scorch and holds its shape. I then put it in a folder for future use on another project and incorporate freezer paper and cardboard or other plastics, even newspaper to make the multiple shapes for new quilts. I build a template stash this way and allow myself plenty of options for future designs on the many quilts I have yet to make.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:33 PM

The template plastic is fairly cheap, but their are 2 kinds. One can be ironed on and the other can't be. They also make a plastic template cutter that works great.
I have used cardboard and find that the pieces don't always come out the same size. Once you mark around the cardboard it starts getting smaller.
Bacon liners work great, but don't iron on them.
If I'm cutting circles for yo yo, I iron on freezer paper, then take my circle cutter and cut away.
Also, you can buy plex glass and cut your own templates with a small saw if you are real handy.
Have fun.
VP
Old 04-04-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by pflum1
Also, you can buy plex glass and cut your own templates with a small saw if you are real handy.
Have fun.
VP
I'm not really handy with saws. Well, actually, I'm not too bad (took an exploratory class a while back so I can work with wood and metal), but I always worry something's gonna kick back into my face when I use the saws.

I did read something a while back about someone going to Home Depot or Ace Hardware (can't remember which) and having them cut out acrylic/plex glass for them to make uber cheap templates for quilting block. Has anyone else done this?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 AM

Beth Ferrier from Applewood Farms has her templates cut at a hardware store. She does caution to be sure and tell the person who is doing the cutting that it must be EXACT to the pattern she gives them.
I bought some template plastic that was in a roll. Even though I have weighted this down for weeks, I can not get the "roll" out of it.
I wonder if a jig saw would do a good job at cutting out plexiglas templates?
Joyce
Old 04-06-2007, 09:02 AM

You could trace the patern onto a piece of tracing paper, glue that onto the plastic then cut on the traced lines.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Joyce, I wonder if you could put a towel over the template sheet and iron it with steam then just let it sit there till it was cool.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:32 AM

you can also used old used xrays- that is what I use all the time. Next time you are at the clinic ask them if they have xray's that they are going to throw away they will propably give them to you. They make great templates.
Kathy/ND
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Joyce
I wonder if a jig saw would do a good job at cutting out plexiglas templates?
Joyce
Sure.

Cut to the outside a little bit, then sand down to the line. The problem with jigsaws is they leave a rough edge (depending on which blade you use). The sanding will take care of that. I haven't used plexi for quilts, but I have made templates for kite panels out of it. The edges need to be smooth or you'll run into issues with your rotary cutter.

tim in san jose