Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about spray basting batting >

Question about spray basting batting

Question about spray basting batting

Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 AM

I just sandwiched a quilt using spray basting. After I finished someone said, "you know it's going to gum up the needle when you quilt it". Has anyone had this problem? I'd hate to think I have to take it apart and wash it before trying to quilt. I'm under a time constrain trying to get it finished to ship to my GD for Christmas. Needless to say I'm waaaay behind.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:49 AM

It depends on the spray and the amount you used , whether or not you may get some "gumming" . Many brands do not gum up the needle. 505 is a tried and true , by lots and lots of quilters.
I would not wash at this point. If you do get some gumming change out your needle frequently. no need to discard those needles , you can wash in warm water or use alchol wipe to remove residue.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
I just sandwiched a quilt using spray basting. After I finished someone said, "you know it's going to gum up the needle when you quilt it". Has anyone had this problem? I'd hate to think I have to take it apart and wash it before trying to quilt. I'm under a time constrain trying to get it finished to ship to my GD for Christmas. Needless to say I'm waaaay behind.
I agree that is depends on the amount you use. I swear by spray basting, I hate working with pins and thread basting is a pain too (at least for me). I always use as little spray as I can while still getting the layers to stick. I've never had a problem with gumming up. I also use a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to wipe down my needle every once in a while, just in case...hope that helps...it's just my way :)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I have used the 505 spray and love it. :) Bought something else when I couldn't find the 505 that said it would not gum up needle, and had a terrible time with just that. I take a cotton ball and wet it with rubbing alcohol and just wipe the needle every few minutes. Didn't use that spray again. :(
Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info. I didn't use 505 but I think it's Elmer's. It didn't seem to hold the layers too well and we wound up having to pin it too. I was afraid to use too much spray. I'll keep the alcohol handy when quilting it. I made the mistake of trying to sew stick on velcro to flannel and that gummed up the needle so bad I had to throw it away. I couldn't get the adhesive off even with alcohol. This isn't nealy as strong. Next time I'll use 505.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 AM

Elmers Craft spray WILL gum up your needle. Also, it is not water soluble and won't wash out right away. Ask me how I know...

The bright side is that you will be able to quilt it - just clean your needle OFTEN. For mine, I'd done really loose quilting (10" apart), and was able to pull the top and back from the batting in between the quilting stitches. After a few washes, it did stop sticking.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM

I use June Tailor because our local Wal-mart has it. It works well for me. The layers stay together and the needle seems fine.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:46 AM

I use 505 and haven't had a problem with gumming.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Yep, it's gumming the needle. Not too bad but still an aggravation. Thankfully, I'm only doing minimal quilting. The blocks are 21" each and I'm just doing a decorative stitch between the blocks. I'm not going to try and wash it out before shipping it. Just don't have the time. I used flannel for batting so I wouldn't have to quilt too much. The blocks don't lend themselves to a lot of quilting. Since this is my first time quilting a quilt it's a lesson learned but at least it's not a king size quilt just a twin. I definitely won't use this spray again. I may try the fusible batting to see how that works.

I get so much good info from this site. Everyone is so helpful. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM

I've used June Tailor spray, too. Haven't had any problems.