Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need some encouragement >

Need some encouragement

Need some encouragement

Old 12-17-2010, 06:07 AM

I have done one T-shirt quilt. It was really easier than I thought! I cut the T-shirts up both sides and laid them out flat and then, from the sides of the neck, cut down the center of the sleeve. That gives you two pieces, front and back. Then, I put the interfacing on them. Now they are ready to cut for whatever size you want. My blocks were
16-1/2 inch blocks as well. A few of them had just a smidgen of the neck ribbing of the shirt on them. But, that does not matter because it is in the seam line and once sewed, will not be seen. I have attached a picture of my quilt that I made from the previous years of the Cancer Relay for Life shirts. I made this for our church's group that we participate in every year. This year, this paricular quilt brought in $1300-1400 alone! I was very proud that I was the one who made the quilt!
I hope this helps you just a little. You are right, you can do it. Good luck!
Sewnique

T-shirt quilt for Relay for Life
[ATTACH=CONFIG]144173[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144168.jpe  
Old 12-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by lovequilts
This is a piece of cake. You can do it. It will be so fun to see when your done. Maybe you can do the squares 16 inched instead of 16.5. just a thought

Blessing,

Lovequilts
They actually are 16"...the extra .5" is for the seams allowances.
don't forget to use a light iron-on interfacing on the knit tee shirt cut outs. makes a difference. takes the stretch down a notch and it is more like the cotton you use for sashing/borders or however you complete it. and, remember, you can do it.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Val in IN
I used lightweight cotton fusible interfacing. I slit the sides of the shirt, cut the sleeves off, then slit the shoulder seams all the way. Then I took the part of the t-shirt that I wanted to use on the quilt (in my case it was the fronts of the shirts) and ironed the interfacing on the reverse side of the design on the t-shirt, a little larger than the square that I wanted to cut it. Then I layed the template on the front, centered over the design, and rotary cut around it. Then you add sashing and borders. Your quilt top is done. Hope this helped.
Thanks! I am going to give it a try after the holidays! Merry Christmas to all....
Old 12-18-2010, 08:01 PM

This quilt will actually go together rather quickly. I think you will be surprised. Once you have it cut, you will almost be finished. And the sashes to make the blocks the same size....this idea works perectly.