Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips? >

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

My "love/hate" relationship with paper piecing; any tips?

Old 12-15-2010, 09:33 PM

I love how crisp paper pieced blocks look, and the intricacy of the designs one can achieve, but I always, inevitably, screw some step up. I looked at the tut here, and it has helped. However, my latest episode: I bought special foundation paper (which is sort of like interfacing in terms of the feel of it), and the first seam that I pressed made the foundation paper shrivel up! I didn't use steam, so what? Iron too hot?
Went on to finish it anyway, for practice, and the last two pieces I sewed on weren't large enough to cover the seam allowance.
It's totally wonky and unusable. I will try again, but would appreciate any little tips. Thanks
Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 PM

Try this way! I won't do it any other way!

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 PM

What brand of foundation paper did you use? I've never heard of that happening but I can understand why you'd be upset. Right now I am paperpiecing one of Norah McMeeking's elaborate "Bella Bella" designs and I have found a few templates that I cut a little on the small side .They have to be positioned just so to cover the seam allowance. I had to redo one section three times before I just went to the yardage, hacked off a more than adequate sized piece , and slapped it on there.I'll likely recut them all because the aggravation of removing those little stitches won't be worth it.ARGH!!!

There are wooden finger pressers that I've seen available .
Here's a plastic one:

http://www.softexpressions.com/Merch...Category_Code=

You wouldn't even have to use an iron. I wouldn't chance an iron again if you're going to use up the remaining foundation sheets in the pack.

One more thing...do you have a special Add a seam ruler for paper piecing? You can get them in 1/8" seams as well.
You can find them here:

http://www.softexpressions.com/Merch...Category_Code=

I love the 1/8" ruler because it's more forgiving with odd shaped pieces.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM

I'm scrappy so I just sew additional fabric onto the too short fabric. :0)

I fingertip/nail press and iron when done.

Make sure you mark your paper with the color so you don't get confused. Also watch all the videos online. Try youtube for tutorials. Seeing it makes it so much easier.

When all else fails, try the Carol Doak dvd. Join the yahoo group and work on her patterns or get some freebies from her website.

If you have quilt software, print out the easiest patterns. There's a lot of pp available in Blockbase for instance.

Don't give up! You're almost there, I promise.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 PM

When I first started paper piecing, it was confusing for me but with a little practice, it gets easier..also when I first started I was doing one block at a time, now if I have 20 blocks I will do section #1 and then do #1 on the 2nd block chain piecing through all 20 blocks, hope I didn't confuse you even more...
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM

I love paper piecing, you do not need to use special paper, copy paper works fine. However being that it's new for you, take your time try not to get too frustrated. First bit of advise be a little generous with your fabric sizes it will make your learning curve easier. Carol Doak website has some freebies and I believe a tut as well. Good luck and stay positive you will be fine.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Power Poster

I would not continue to use that paper if it is going to shrink...

You can print out an extra foundation and cut out each section, use these pieces upside down on your fabric as templates for your block pieces. Add a 3/8" seam allowance around each one for a little wiggle room :D:D:D
Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 AM

I use non-iron on vilene (it is called tracing vilene here in Aus) and don't have any problems. I trace the pattern onto the vilene, do my piecing but I finger press seams as I go because ironing the vilene does make it wrinkle up. I now do most of my piecing this way, it is so accurate. I even adapt traditional patterns to foundation piece them accurately.

I can't be bothered tearing the paper away so that is why I use the vilene and I have hand quilted and machine quilted my quilts using the vilene as a foundation.

Keep practising, it will get easier, you will work out the best method that suits you.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:17 AM

Biggest tip - don't skimp on size of fabric. Been there - done that! Its much easier to cut down than to rip.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Power Poster

Buy Carol Doak CD how to paperpiece. It's the best instructional video I have seen to learn paper piecing and get it right the first time. I use lightweight vellum paper. Not the vellum used for scrapbooking. I bought a ream of it online and that will probably last me 20 plus years. If you don't mind drawing your pattern the deli sandwich wrappers bought at Sam's or Cosco 500 to a box makes good pp paper.