Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Organizing your stash >

Organizing your stash

Organizing your stash

Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Power Poster

I keep trying to find a way that works for me. The problem with sorting by color is that if there isn't a dominant color I don't know where to put it. This mostly happens with florals for me.
My current way is long yardage together, then batiks, novelty prints, Christmas, and all the rest by color (sort of) I put fat quarters, charms etc in a seperate 6 drawer plastic unit.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:21 PM

Mine is sorted by project. Or, you could think of it as sorted by type. Repro, 30's, modern giant print, modern smaller print, etc.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:25 PM

I try to keep the projects in a near area if bought for one project, then reminants together, scraps and pieces together, solids together...... and sometimes where ever they land :)
Clear as mud :)
Your space do it your way!!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:27 PM

I tend to buy fabrics from a single line or ones that I picked out to go together so I store them together like that. But right now they are folded and stuffed into a cabinet. I bought some of those comic book boards to fold them onto and organize but they seem kinda flimsy. I read about it on several blogs. I know about the plastic sign material but I couldn't find a sign shop that has it around here.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by gale
I tend to buy fabrics from a single line or ones that I picked out to go together so I store them together like that. But right now they are folded and stuffed into a cabinet. I bought some of those comic book boards to fold them onto and organize but they seem kinda flimsy. I read about it on several blogs. I know about the plastic sign material but I couldn't find a sign shop that has it around here.
There was somebody on here who either sold them or had a relative that sold the coroplast organizers on ebay but I can't find them now. I have a couple of hundred of them and they make organizing your fabric really easy.

Found it!

http://quiltfabricorganizers.com/
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 AM

I'll take my chances with the comic book boards. lol. I got 100 for $15 shipped. If I have to I can double up or reinforce them but it seems like the people who have used them haven't needed to.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 AM

Still working on it but I use baskets marked with what is in it.By color or by print (dogs, cats, holiday) then handdyes etc are separate. I am sure I will refine as I go along setting up my new room
Old 12-18-2010, 06:17 AM

Those election signs alng the side of the road are usually coroplast. Now that the elections are over most candidates don't mind if you pick thses up, they just chuck them anyway
David
Old 12-18-2010, 06:24 AM

I collect fabrics for a certain quilt and keep them together. (ie: Christmas Log Cabin, Matthew's Florence quilt, Michael's blue quilt, Barby's purple quilt, etc) Some types of fabric, I collect "just because" and I keep those together. (30's repros, Civil War repros, Kansas Troubles, coffee prints, fall, Christmas, etc.)

I keep the wide backings separately, unless I find one that's perfect for one of the projects, in which case it stays with its project. Almost everything is in huge bins and like the other poster, I always want something that's in the bottom bin. :D
Old 12-18-2010, 06:44 AM

I do needleturn landscapes etc quilts. So I sort my stash by color and also by sky,grasses,water, trees etc.