Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011 >

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

BLOCKS OF THE MONTH - 1st of the Month, 2011

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Finally got my church done! I like it! I might embellish it a bit, maybe a bell in the tower?

BOM Church
[ATTACH=CONFIG]180410[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-180404.jpe  
Old 04-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Corky
Finally got my church done! I like it! I might embellish it a bit, maybe a bell in the tower?
Corky,
I love your Church block. I think putting a bell in the tower would be awesome!! :thumbup: Very Nice work.
:D :D :D :D
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 PM

You did a beautiful job!!!!Love it!!
Old 04-06-2011, 02:09 PM

I love the fabric on the roof. It's just perfect.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM

I'm really trying to challenge myself to work with PaperPiecing directional fabrics and getting the straight of grain on the outside edges. These BOM are perfect practice.

so much fun! I haven't tackled the farmhouse though. Making the birdhouse now.

Originally Posted by helen31406
I love the fabric on the roof. It's just perfect.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Very nice! Looking forward to see the next one!
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 PM

HELP PLEASE!!! I am a newbie. Wanted to try the BOM houses. I had never done paper piecing before. I did the church and did not think it was too bad. Did not do the farmhouse, yet. Trying the red barn. Found all the fabric I wanted to use. Got everything done except the very top part. The part with the biggest part of the sky, part of the barn, roof and more sky. I can not get it to work for anything!! Very frustrated. I have tried it so many times, I must have spent $$$$$ because I have used way too much fabric. Can anyone help me figure this out? Maybe by doing a tutorial or something? I can not get any of it right. Not having fun either. Wasting a lot of time too.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by sustraley
HELP PLEASE!!! I am a newbie. Wanted to try the BOM houses. I had never done paper piecing before. I did the church and did not think it was too bad. Did not do the farmhouse, yet. Trying the red barn. Found all the fabric I wanted to use. Got everything done except the very top part. The part with the biggest part of the sky, part of the barn, roof and more sky. I can not get it to work for anything!! Very frustrated. I have tried it so many times, I must have spent $$$$$ because I have used way too much fabric. Can anyone help me figure this out? Maybe by doing a tutorial or something? I can not get any of it right. Not having fun either. Wasting a lot of time too.
What exactly is the problem you are having? Can you post a picture of it. There are some good tutorials here online that might help.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 PM

Mafusa is right. Please take pictures of all the pieces front and back. We'll help you figure it out.

It has to be something simple that has you stumped.

Originally Posted by sustraley
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 AM

[ Very frustrated. I have tried it so many times, I must have spent $$$$$ because I have used way too much fabric. Can anyone help me figure this out? Maybe by doing a tutorial or something? I can not get any of it right. Not having fun either. Wasting a lot of time too.[/quote]

To save fabric when paper piecing try this.

Make several copies of the paper pieced project.

Carefully cut along the lines to make templates

Use the template to cut out shapes about 1/2 inch larger in all dimensions than the template.

Also use the template to place pieces on the grain of fabric.

After the piece is cut and placed in the section to sew. Trim only the side you will sew to 1/4".

Choose the next template and cut as above.

Match edge to be sewn right sides together to the piece already pinned to paper. Sew.

This method cuts down on waste and helps avoid stretching because pieces are cut on the straight grain. This is especially important in large pieces that will be quilted to prevent distortion.