Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Oranges, Oranges, Oranges >

Oranges, Oranges, Oranges

Oranges, Oranges, Oranges

Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM

My DH is diabetic and I guess everyone at work wanted to include him (which was very thoughtful) when they brought in all the cookies and desserts, and they gave him fruit. We definitely have a surplus of oranges and several we've tasted don't have a lot of flavor. I refuse to throw fruit away, and in fact I don't believe in wasting food in general, but I'm not sure what to do with all these oranges. I thought of zesting and freezing the peel, or making marmalade. Does anyone have other suggestions?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:29 AM

Take the ones that don't taste good and juice them with some that do. Then zest the peel. You could also re-gift your excess to your local women's shelter or somewhere that serves meals to the homeless. How very thoughtful of your husband's co-workers to make an effort to include him.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:03 AM

Jack LaLanne juicer
Old 12-28-2010, 05:57 AM

Whenever I have too many oranges/lemons/limes and they are getting too soft I do this. I grate the zest and place it small containers and freeze (easy to only remove zest needed for a recipe). I also slice the fruit and then saran wrap about 4-5 slices of one fruit (do this with each fruit), place wrapped slices in a larger freezer bag and freeze. When I make tea or lemonade or any drink that the fruit would enhance I simply take out a 4 pack (easy to separate the slices for hot tea also). I also use the lemon slices when I cook fish. And with this I always have the zest of the different fruit and the fruit to use. Hope this gives you some ideas. Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Happy New Year,.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:52 PM

Make ambrosia: the pineapple and coconut will balance the less flavorful oranges.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Thanks for your suggestions--all good ones. I'll probably be making juice as my DH and I started colds in the last 24 hours. I'll freeze the zest.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:15 AM

Fruit Smoothies. Try fresh cranberries with fresh oranges, plus the usual yogurt and ice. Nice.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:00 PM

cut the flavorless ones into pieces, put in a saucepan with some whole cloves and cinnamon, simmer on the stove. Adds a lovely smell to the house.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:04 PM
tmw

Originally Posted by spooky
cut the flavorless ones into pieces, put in a saucepan with some whole cloves and cinnamon, simmer on the stove. Adds a lovely smell to the house.
this is what i do too, and then i put a small piece of the rind in the disposal and grind , it cleans the blades and leaves a nice smell in the sink too.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

Have you ever tried to make orange chiffon pie? It's simply wonderful. You cool it in the refrigerate after you make it, and it's very smooth, with a graham cracker crust. You could try google it online. We used to have it weekly for Sunday dinner. Good pie.