Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Machines? >

Quilting Machines?

Quilting Machines?

Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Donna, are you talking "sewing" as in piecing a quilt, or "long arm" as in quilting your finished top? Sounds like you want to quilt with fancier stitching. I bought a Janome 6600 so I could do it all, and 'tho I am little more than a beginner, I love, love this machine. I have had several brands over the years, and believe you can work with whatever you have until you can afford your dreams. They are worth saving for! A long arm machine is way beyond my reach, but I think I can do almost anything I need to do, and then some, on my Janome. It is great to have a shop/dealer to back up the machine, as well as to give you encouragement and ideas for having more fun. Enjoy researching, and I hope you find something wonderful.
Pris
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Decide what you want then check Craigslist. Nothing wrong with used machines. Have it serviced (about $100) and you should be good to go.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:40 AM

Personally I would stay away from anything from a big store like WalMart or KMart or even Joannes. One you will not get the service you need. I would go to a sewing and vacuum shop. Most of them have trade ins that they can sell you for cheap. Most of them also have techs on site to fix any problem you might run into and they usually make sure the trade ins are in great shape before letting them go out their door. They want you to come back and buy the big machine when you are ready. Also try to get either a Janome or Bernina, if you can. You will not be sorry. Also insist on a needle drop aspect for your machine. It makes a huge difference when you are working on quilts.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:29 PM

I believe this might have been suggested but check out the Kenmores at Sears (online too). They are made by Janome, and are exact replicas of Janome models with a little cheaper price tag :) Good luck!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:06 PM

This discussion about this machine was posted a few months ago or less and you will find lots of ladies who love this machine. One of them is me. I just started quilting this year and bought it to get me started. I love it. I have an old Singer I inherited, but don't use it at all since i got this Brother SQ-9000. I have had no problems FMQ either...it works like a charm for piecing and FMQ. Smaller throat plate than I would like, but I haven't quilted anything large enough to give me problems yet in that area. It stipples great!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis
You can use the machine you are piecing with if you can put a quilting foot or walking foot on it. There is nothing that special about a machine that quilts unless you go for the wider throat (7"-10") . It is just tough and time consuming to quilt on a sewing machine. Call and ask around about someone quilting it for you. I found a lady two hours away that quilts for $26.00-$40.00 a quilt. Unbelievable price! She's in a small town with people with fixed incomes. I save up my tops and then bring several at once. We stop to visit family and friends on our way back.
If she accepts orders by mail, would you be able to PM me her info?
Thanks
Old 01-03-2011, 02:31 PM

Hi

frist time to coment I have used Wal mart machines for the last 25 years mostly the brothers was a havey sewor
thes are good to begain with
Old 01-03-2011, 02:45 PM

I have two Brother machines...one is sewing/embroidery with hoops, etc...bought at a big dealer in Memphis...the other a small $200 from Walmart to take to classes, etc. I love both of them....not any trouble with either one. Been sewing on my Brother ULT 2001 embroidery/sewing for 10 yrs....almost everyday!! the smaller one not so much, but it came with a walking foot, a big acrylic table extension around the work area.....great deal! A walking foot in itself is very expensive!!
Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 PM

I have the 199 brothers from walmart and a 79 one from walmart both work well. I did real from a member if you hear a metal grind oil the arm of the needle putting machine upside down and it will continue to work well Sewing machine oil
Old 01-03-2011, 03:06 PM

I have the 199 brothers from walmart and a 79 one from walmart both work well. I did read from a member if you hear a metal grind oil the arm of the needle putting machine upside down and it will continue to work well Sewing machine oil